Division Algorithm For Polynomials

In summary, the conversation is about finding the polynomial Q(x) and R(x) in the set of R[x] such that f(x) can be written as g(x)Q(x) + R(x), where R(x) has a lower degree than g(x). The speaker is unsure if they are on the right track and mentions something about manipulating numbers in C[x]. They also question if g(x) divides f(x) or if g(x) is a factor of f(x) if there exists a polynomial h such that f(x) = g(x)h(x). They later realize that the process involves finding the remainder and quotient through polynomial long division.
keelejody
Im given two polynomials:

f(x) =(2x^6) + (x^5) - (3x^4) + (4x^3) + (x^2) -1
and
g(x)=(x^3)-(x^2)+2x+3

find polynomials Q(x),R(x) in the set of R[x] s.t

f(x) =g(x)Q(X) +R(X) and deg(R)<deg(g)

Am i even in the right area? and something to do with manipulating numbers in C[x]

does g divide f or g is a factor of f if there exists polynomial h s.t f=gh

im so confused. sorry i can't communicate my thoughts well, but I am very much stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
keelejody said:
Im given two polynomials:

f(x) =(2x^6) + (x^5) - (3x^4) + (4x^3) + (x^2) -1
and
g(x)=(x^3)-(x^2)+2x+3

find polynomials Q(x),R(x) in the set of R[x] s.t

f(x) =g(x)Q(X) +R(X) and deg(R)<deg(g)
What is the "set of R[x]"?

It looks like what you're asked to do is to write f(x) as the product of two polynomials plus a remainder. Do you know how to do polynomial long division? When you do the division you will get Q(x) = 2x^3 + lower degree terms. If g(x) is a factor of f(x), R(x) will be 0. Otherwise, R(x) will be a polynomial of degree two or lower.
keelejody said:
Am i even in the right area? and something to do with manipulating numbers in C[x]

does g divide f or g is a factor of f if there exists polynomial h s.t f=gh

im so confused. sorry i can't communicate my thoughts well, but I am very much stuck

its remainder and quotient...obvious now. thanks :smile:

1. What is the Division Algorithm for Polynomials?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials is a method used to divide one polynomial by another polynomial, resulting in a quotient and a remainder. It is similar to the traditional long division method used for dividing numbers, but it is specifically designed for polynomials.

2. How does the Division Algorithm for Polynomials work?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials works by dividing the highest degree term of the dividend (the polynomial being divided) by the highest degree term of the divisor (the polynomial doing the dividing). The quotient is then multiplied by the divisor and subtracted from the dividend, resulting in a new polynomial with a smaller degree. This process is repeated until the degree of the new polynomial is smaller than the degree of the divisor, resulting in a remainder.

3. What is the importance of the Division Algorithm for Polynomials?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials is important because it allows us to divide polynomials and find the quotient and remainder, which can be useful in many applications such as solving equations, simplifying expressions, and finding the roots of polynomials.

4. Can the Division Algorithm for Polynomials be used for any type of polynomial?

Yes, the Division Algorithm for Polynomials can be used for any type of polynomial, whether it is linear, quadratic, cubic, or of any other degree. It is a universal method for dividing polynomials and can be applied to any type of polynomial division problem.

5. Are there any limitations to the Division Algorithm for Polynomials?

Yes, the Division Algorithm for Polynomials has a few limitations. It can only be used when the divisor is not equal to zero, and the dividend and divisor must both have numerical coefficients. It also does not work for dividing polynomials with multiple variables or for dividing by polynomials with a higher degree than the dividend. In these cases, a more advanced method such as synthetic division may be required.