Divisions of applied mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of applied mathematics and its various divisions, including differential equations, numerical analysis, matrix theory, mathematical physics, and others. The conversation also mentions additional fields such as meteorology and atmospheric science, as well as the personal research interests of one of the participants, including calculus of variation, differential geometry, elastic theory, and mathematical finance.
J77
Complementing the fields of physics thread, and as a bit of fun :wink:, I wondered what people make of wikipedia's definition of divisions within applied maths:

Applicable areas of mathematics include most notably

* differential equations (ODEs and PDEs)
* numerical analysis/scientific computing
* approximation theory and representation theory
* matrix theory
* mathematical physics
* mathematical methods of engineering
* nonlinear optimization
* operations research, including linear programming
* continuous modelling
* control theory
* mathematical biology
* bioinformatics
* information theory
* game theory
* probability
* mathematical economics
* financial mathematics
* actuarial science
* cryptography
* graph theory (as applied to network analysis)
* statistics
* parts of theoretical computer science

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_mathematics

Physics news on Phys.org
what about meteorology/ atmospheric science? Also J77, what type of applied math are you into?

courtrigrad said:
what about meteorology/ atmospheric science? Also J77, what type of applied math are you into?
That's a good one.

I think it would come under differential equations in this formulation but then so should, for example, math biology.

The base of my work would be nonlinear differential equations but of many forms... ODEs (including nonsmooth), PDEs, DDEs...

This involves matrix theory too.

And, bifurcation theory which I think should be on the list!

Actually, if you number the lsit from 1 to 22, in my research I've employed...

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 22

I'm not sure what 3 and 9 would include...

Last edited:
Calculus of Variation?

Elastic theory?

All kind of analysis find applications in Physics, and practical Industry.
Differential Geometry
Tensor Analysis
Algebraic Topology
Variation Analysis
Elastic Theory
Mathematical Dynamic of any kind.

The list looks weird to me because some of the items are maths, and some are applicable field. Personally, I would consider Differential Eqn is a branch of Maths which has a lot of applications in practical world.

PS: I am going to be focusing on Calculus of Variation, Differential Geometry, Elastic Theory, and Mathematical Finance.

Last edited:

What are the different divisions of applied mathematics?

The main divisions of applied mathematics include: mathematical physics, computational mathematics, mathematical biology, operations research, and statistics. Other subfields include numerical analysis, optimization, and control theory.

How is applied mathematics different from pure mathematics?

Applied mathematics uses mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems, while pure mathematics focuses on abstract concepts and theoretical developments. Applied mathematics also involves the use of tools from other fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What types of problems can be solved using applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including those related to physics, engineering, economics, biology, and social sciences. Examples of problems that can be solved using applied mathematics include modeling fluid dynamics, optimizing manufacturing processes, and analyzing financial markets.

What skills are important for a career in applied mathematics?

Some important skills for a career in applied mathematics include strong mathematical and analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, programming knowledge, and the ability to communicate complex ideas to non-technical audiences. Additionally, having a broad understanding of various fields and their applications is beneficial.

What are the potential applications of research in applied mathematics?

Research in applied mathematics can have a wide range of applications, including improving technology, predicting natural phenomena, developing new algorithms and methods for solving complex problems, and informing decision-making in various industries. It can also lead to advancements in other fields, such as medicine, environmental science, and economics.