1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Masters in biotechnology after BS. in applied mathematics?

1. Jul 10, 2017 #1
    Do you know about if this is possible or which schools offer a degree like this? Aside from mathematics I have taken the following courses related to biotechnology(science-based):

General biology 1 and 2 with labs
    General chemistry 1 and 2 with labs
    General physics 1 and 2 with labs
    Mechanics (Physics)
    Mathematical Physics
    Physics Problem Solving
    Two psychology courses

What do you think my odds are?

I can get a minor in biology if I take one more course and I have a minor in physics, so maybe I will do that.

Let's assume this is good for applying for the degree... what about the math courses that I should take to prepare? I graduate in a year so I don't have much option at this point.

I'll have taken Numerical Analysis, Statistics, Mathematical modeling, complex variables, PDE, programming, linear algebra, ODE, all calculus.

I need to pick two of the following:

Advanced Calculus 1/2
    Intro. to analysis
    Complex analysis
    vector calculus
    Game theory
    Optimization
    Calculus of variations
    Qualitative theory of ODE
    PDE 2
    Linear algebra 2

On top of this I need to take the GRE in November so by the time I submit my graduate application to other schools I will not have taken the last biology course for the minor yet so the school committee won't know to consider it in my application. Should I brief them? I think I am too excited. I just discovered this possibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have a very good background for entering a master's program in biotechnology. You should talk with a professor in your school's biology department who will be more familiar with what is included in your past classes and in alternative future classes. You might want to look at a bioengineering class.

4. Jul 16, 2017 #3
    Okay. I'm also thinking about maybe going for the masters (probably PHD if I begin masters) in applied mathematics and then getting a job in industry doing something with biotech or bionics. I know how important math is to every field of science and technology but I don't know if a PHD would qualify me to work in a job in science or technology related to biology. I just know that in the end I want to do something like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted