DIY Telescope theory and questions

In summary, the telescope has an eyepiece that allows you to magnify an image by using it with a magnifying glass. With a larger objective lens, more light from the object is collected and the brightness of the magnified image is increased.
TheCapacitor
I'm confused about the theory of the telescope I am making.
My questions are:
1. Magnification - according to my image we should see magnification because the image we see is the image formed by the continuation of the dotted lines. Is that true?
2. Why do we need lenses with different size? If you look at the picture I drew, we still need to be able to reach magnification, because we see the imaginary image as the continuation of the dotted lines.
3. I understand that you have more light collected with bigger objective lens. More light from the object is coming in. However, why does it really matter?
4. I have 2 plano-convex lenses. Is the configuration in the image correct to see magnification?Thanks!

Attachments

• telescope.png
    telescope.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 632
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi C,

Your picture isn't very helpful. google keplerian telescope angular magnification to find better ones. (e.g. here or here )

1. Basically you look at an image formed by the objective lens. And you look with a magnifying glass, the ocular. (just like with a microscope!). You could have a piece of paper at the focal point of the objective: it would show the image. The longer the focal length of the objective, the bigger the picture. And the bigger the objective, the brighter the picture. (3) That's nice to see faraway stars that aren't all that bright.
2. The ocular lens is an eyepiece. The shorter the focal length, the more magnification you get. It doesn't have to be so big because you have your eye close to the thing.
4. yes (although the picture doesn't help in this).

[edit] I really like this thorough site http://www.handprint.com/ASTRO/ae2.html (and the ae1 and ae3 there)

Last edited:
Likes TheCapacitor
BvU said:
Hi C,

Your picture isn't very helpful. google keplerian telescope angular magnification to find better ones. (e.g. here or here )

1. Basically you look at an image formed by the objective lens. And you look with a magnifying glass, the ocular. (just like with a microscope!). You could have a piece of paper at the focal point of the objective: it would show the image. The longer the focal length of the objective, the bigger the picture. And the bigger the objective, the brighter the picture. (3) That's nice to see faraway stars that aren't all that bright.
2. The ocular lens is an eyepiece. The shorter the focal length, the more magnification you get. It doesn't have to be so big because you have your eye close to the thing.
4. yes (although the picture doesn't help in this).

[edit] I really like this thorough site http://www.handprint.com/ASTRO/ae2.html (and the ae1 and ae3 there)

Thanks!
In the first link you sent me there they have the eyepiece reverted unlike in my image. Does it matter? I think the refraction should be the same.
I'll definitely check that last web out, although it may take some time.

TheCapacitor said:
3. I understand that you have more light collected with bigger objective lens. More light from the object is coming in. However, why does it really matter?

When you magnify an image, the light is spread out into a larger area. Without a larger objective the image would be unacceptably dim. A larger objective collects more light and counteracts this spreading out of the light. In most cases it actually increases the brightness of the magnified image beyond that of the original image. This is why I can look through my telescope and see nearby galaxies and stars that would never be visible otherwise.

Drakkith said:
When you magnify an image, the light is spread out into a larger area. Without a larger objective the image would be unacceptably dim. A larger objective collects more light and counteracts this spreading out of the light. In most cases it actually increases the brightness of the magnified image beyond that of the original image. This is why I can look through my telescope and see nearby galaxies and stars that would never be visible otherwise.

Can you maybe draw a ray diagram for better understanding of this?

I'm afraid not. The only thing uglier than my face are my drawings.

Drakkith said:
I'm afraid not. The only thing uglier than my face are my drawings.

I'm sure you can do it, mspaint for the win!
This is maybe the only way I can get what you are saying.
And I'm sure you are pretty.

1. What are the basic components needed to build a DIY telescope?

To build a DIY telescope, you will need a primary mirror, secondary mirror, eyepiece, telescope tube, focuser, and mount. You may also need additional tools such as a drill, screwdriver, and pliers.

2. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a DIY telescope?

While having some basic knowledge about optics and mechanics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have any special skills to build a DIY telescope. There are many resources available online that provide step-by-step instructions and guides for building a telescope.

3. How much does it cost to build a DIY telescope?

The cost of building a DIY telescope can vary depending on the quality and type of materials used. However, it is possible to build a basic telescope for under $100. You can also save money by repurposing materials or purchasing used equipment.

4. What can I see with a DIY telescope?

A DIY telescope can be used to view celestial objects such as the moon, planets, stars, and even some galaxies. The quality of the images will depend on the quality of your telescope and your location's light pollution.

5. Can I make any modifications to my DIY telescope?

Yes, you can make modifications to your DIY telescope to improve its performance or customize it to your needs. Some common modifications include adding a motorized mount for tracking objects, upgrading the eyepiece, or using different mirrors or lenses for better image quality.