Do Canadians wear short sleeves shirts at 12 degree Celsius?

In summary: I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one.In summary, Canadian people still wear short sleeves shirt at 10 degree Celcius even when the temperarure is that cold.
lwymarie
I am a HongKonger. My chemistry teacher comes from Canada and he wears short sleeves shirt every day, even when the temperarure is 10 degree Celcius. May I know is it true that Canadians still wears short sleeves shirt at 10 degree Celcius? I feel freezing. They are very strong...

Likes Mxggiebear
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. Few and far between will you find a Canadian who will change out of t-shirt, shorts and sandals before that first snowfall of the season.

Temperature is relative. When the mercury's been huddling around zero for a month, 10C is a heat wave.

Not positive about Canada, but in Michigan, we sure do. =D

As long as I keep my head and feet warm, and its not windy, I'm good to about 20 degrees F. My mail man wears shorts all year, which warms my heart, cause he's got some fine legs!

I never wear shorts or sandals, but that's personal taste. Although I consider myself very intolerant of cold, 10C is golf-shirt weather. Dave, where the hell are you that it's hovering around 0 for a month? It was -20 here yesterday, +13 2 days ago, -10 today, and supposed to be about +7 tomorrow. Alberta weather never 'hovers' anywhere for more than half an hour. :grumpy:

I was only wearing a sweater the other day when the temperature was just below zero.:biggrin:

I find that at that temperature, pants are appropriate as well.

i wear shorts to work in since i work at a bakery where it's super hot inside (especially in the proofer where the dough rises) & i bus there & back so I'm outside walking to bus stops, etc at nite when it's probably 5C right now. we had snow a few days ago & i was a bit surprised that wearing shorts didn't bother me much. i;m not really used to that though; I've only ever lived on the west coast & have never been to the prairies or ontario.

lwymarie said:
I am a HongKonger. My chemistry teacher comes from Canada and he wears short sleeves shirt every day, even when the temperarure is 10 degree Celcius. May I know is it true that Canadians still wears short sleeves shirt at 10 degree Celcius? I feel freezing. They are very strong...
If it's sunny and there's no wind, 10 degrees C is fine for short sleeves, shorts, and sandals in Colorado. Of course, there's not as much atmosphere up here at 2000 meters altitude, so the sunlight matters more than the air temperature.

This morning it was -20 C, so no shorts and sandals today. On the other hand, we didn't get nearly as much snow as was predicted, so the drive out into the prairie wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.

yeah...i've lived in cdn all my life and even saw someone with shorts on in the middle of winter, with snow,for the first itme in 1998...thats the first time I've seen someone where shorts in teh snow...

My Grandad was Canadian, but he then moved to Ohio. I don't think he ever wore t-shirts. He even moved to Florida when he retired (because I think that's the law in Ohio: retired folks have to move to Miami, but the law never stated which Miami).

The Canadians here at PF wear dresses :smile:

russians go skinny dipping into 0 deg snow after a few shots of vodka :biggrin:

of course some die.. but meh :zzz:

Having grown up in Edmonton, I'm fairly tolerant of cold temperatures, and since moving to South Carolina, I'm always getting strange looks from people as I walk around in short sleeves, shorts and sandals while everyone else is shivering in those michelin man overstuffed coats or wrapped up in coats and scarves.

mattmns said:
The Canadians here at PF wear dresses :smile:
damn, I was going to say skirts. This is why I don't like to read entire threads, it's not plagarism if I don't read it first.

lwymarie said:

10 degrees celcius is not cold. I've worn shorts and a t-shirt in that weather. Come back when its -20 degrees celsius. Then its cold.

And it hits -40 here at least once or twice a year. :mad:

lwymarie said:

Hell I do that occasionally... I think 50 degrees F (too lazy to convert) is about where I say no to cold :P

I don't wear shorts anyways. But it's about freezing point here and I'm in short sleeves.

10C= ?F... its above freezing though. i wear shorts and flip flops to dinner still sometimes, and we haven't been above 30F for a while. The wind is what kills though, new england is hella windy... that's what gets ya.

I wouldn't be wearing a t-shirt in 10 C weather, but it's certainly not terribly cold yet. I'd probably toss a fleece or light jacket on to head outside.

Hell I'd be streaking if it were 10C here right now! (it's about -23C right now)

10C = 50F... I don't think that's very bad and I live in sunny southern California. I prefer the cold over the heat which I guess is kind of odd for someone from around here.

TheStatutoryApe said:
10C = 50F... I don't think that's very bad and I live in sunny southern California. I prefer the cold over the heat which I guess is kind of odd for someone from around here.
I prefer beach weather where the temperature never changes. But 10C isn't cold. I've done minnesota winters. It was so cold we could walk on water.

edit: And Yeah, I wore a t-shirt then too. Of course, when running a snowball war on a frozen lake, you aren't exactly holding still. Plenty of body heat.

10C is bitterly cold where I come from.
The average temperature (In January when it's coldest) is around 24 °C.

franznietzsche said:
I've done minnesota winters.
I lived in Minneapolis for eight years. I went originally only planning to stay for a short time, but I stupidly touched a sign post at a bus stop with a bare hand and got frozen to it. God, I saw so many busses come and go during my eight years there. Anyway, one summer it warmed up enough for me to groan for help , and they got the fire dept to cut me loose.

You mean temperatures go above 10 C?!? Has anyone told the north of england?!?

Danger said:
And it hits -40 here at least once or twice a year. :mad:
http://www.imag.us/x/cronx/imfromcanada.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
A public service:

Approximate conversion:
.C..F
.-5.20

So, from freezing, C goes up by 5's, while F goes up by 10's.

Actual conversion:
F = C*9/5 + 32
C = (F-32) * 5/9

Last edited:
Additionally as a note of interest, -40F is the same as -40C

siddharth said:
Additionally as a note of interest, -40F is the same as -40C
Yep. Although not much use as a helper - even here in Canada.

I'm in California and I've been out in the snow in shorts and a t-shirt, for about half an hour. Then I went in and put on a sweater. I've also been yelled at by my boss when I came to work when it was below 0F wearing the short sleeved uniform.

Ba said:
I'm in California and I've been out in the snow in shorts and a t-shirt, for about half an hour. Then I went in and put on a sweater. I've also been yelled at by my boss when I came to work when it was below 0F wearing the short sleeved uniform.

Yeah, half an hour is nothing. You're body has barely even noticed the change in temperature yet.

I spent like 8 hours playing in the snowing making a snow fort to sleep in while only wearing sweater and pants.

Note: Yes, I did sleep in my snowfort... :tongue: ...at the age of 20. :biggrin:

Hah, 10 degrees C is time for a coat, scarf, gloves and thick jumper for me

Then again, I live in South England, so meh.

I'm Canadian and I wear T-shirts all year except in exceptionally cold weather (such as a snowstorm or whatever). I also wear pants all year, except for really hot days (like Florida, in the middle of january: wow).