Queries for statement of purpose

In summary: the committee wants to know that you have the potential to do great things in the field, not just have taken a few courses.
beamie564
I’m currently pursuing my master's degree in physics (in India) will be applying for the graduate course in the US for Fall 2018, and have a few queries regarding the statement of purpose.

1) Is it okay if I’m still undecided about what specific discipline I want to get into? Thing is, I have some research experience in the area of biophysics, but I don’t want to commit to it right now and cordon off other topics. (I’m assuming that it’s a common thing?)2) I had a break in my formal education after completing my bachelor’s degree. I wonder whether it’s appropriate to include the following in the SOP (hoping it doesn’t do any damage)-
“After completing my bachelor’s degree (triple major in physics, mathematics and chemistry) I didn’t get into any of the places that I had applied to. So I took a year off and during the next 10 months or so, every single day (almost) I sat down and worked problems. I worked through most of the problems in the undergraduate textbooks Resnick-Halliday and Mary Boas (mathematical physics), and covered major portions from Griffiths (electromagnetic theory), Kleppner (mechanics) and Eisberg (quantum theory), and learned quite a few other miscellaneous things. I had no deadlines, no syllabus or course to follow, no pressure, with only curiosity as my drive. Although I wasn’t taking any course or wasn’t part of any institution, I consider this period as the most fruitful and satisfactory time of my academic life, till now. I don’t mean to perpetuate the myth of a lone genius or project myself as one. The point I’m trying to make is that I find physics very exciting and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I also learned during this time, to be persistent when things don’t go your way, and that I had the ability to work hard (I used to study for about 12 hours per day).”

Everything I’ve written above is absolutely true. I understand that it may be out of place in a SOP, but I was hoping that a tailored version of this would answer the question “Why do you want to get into the graduate program”, showing them that I have the drive to learn physics from within. Some universities require a separate “Personal Statement”, maybe I can put this there. Thoughts?
3) Being a master’s student, I’ve already had a few courses which are mandatory for the coursework in the graduate program (advanced classical mech, electromagnetism, quantum theory). Would it be prudent to point out that this gives me an advantage?

I sincerely thank those who’ve taken the effort to go through this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably shouldn't point out to the committee that you previously weren't successful in being admitted to graduate school.

Also, I'd advise against including things like "The point I’m trying to make is that I find physics very exciting and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction". That is true of every single graduate student applying for physics! In regards to that entire paragraph, I personally would advise against it, although others may disagree (I only applied to graduate school myself two years ago). The reason is that nothing in that paragraph has physical, concrete evidence for it. Yes, you may have self-studied for 12 hours per day, but unless you have a professor with whom you were working closely, there is no one to back up that statement, so it is effectively meaningless.

In regards to your first question, if you have research in the area of biophysics and think that it may be the area you want to pursue in graduate school, then apply for that. There is no pressure to stick with what you mention in your application, and the committee knows that. I totally did a 180 on research interests between undergrad and grad school, and it didn't hurt me in the slightest.

Dishsoap said:
The reason is that nothing in that paragraph has physical, concrete evidence for it
That is exactly why I thought it won't do any good. Pity.
Dishsoap said:
Also, I'd advise against including things like "The point I’m trying to make is that I find physics very exciting and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction". That is true of every single graduate student applying for physics!
To be honest, I wouldn't have included this line (it's still my first draft). Instead of me explicitly stating that I find physics exciting, it should be apparent from the general content, right?
What about mentioning that I've already taken a few graduate level courses.? Any way that could work against me?
Anyways, thanks for your input!

I don't see how mentioning your graduate coursework could hurt you. Be sure to focus on research though!

Thanks a lot!

Dishsoap said:
I don't see how mentioning your graduate coursework could hurt you.

Except that there's already a place for this - the transcript.

Most applications make it clear what they want in an SOP: why do you want to go to grad school, and why do you want to go to grad school here? I don't know why applicants want to disregard the directions, and I really, really don't understand why applicants write SOPs that do not address what was asked. (And more than a few do)

Vanadium 50 said:

Most applications make it clear what they want in an SOP: why do you want to go to grad school, and why do you want to go to grad school here? I don't know why applicants want to disregard the directions, and I really, really don't understand why applicants write SOPs that do not address what was asked. (And more than a few do)

The problem is that many students want to go to graduate school because (a) they want to have a chance to go into academia, or otherwise delay entering the job market, and/or (b) graduate school is the only chance available for the student to eventually land a well-paying position. And to the question of why do they want to go to grad school here, because (a) the school is prestigious, or (b) some other reason(s).

I don't know about you, but I suspect that none of the above reasons would sound especially good in a SOP.

Vanadium 50 said:

I don't know about what applicants do, in general, but I most certainly don't intend to disregard any directions. I'm going through the information on the sites of each university I'll potentially apply to, and I see that there are some small differences in what they want in a statement ( eg. some departments ask for a separate 'Personal Statement', where maybe I could put the stuff mentioned above). I will prepare statements for applying to each department separately, suiting their profile.
I understand that the main purpose of a SOP is, like you said, "why do you want to go to grad school, and why do you want to go to grad school here?", and I will address that. But wouldn't something along the lines of "I like physics" ( in a less explicit manner) be a legitimate reason for why someone wants to attend grad school?

Aniruddha@94 said:
But wouldn't something along the lines of "I like physics" ( in a less explicit manner) be a legitimate reason for why someone wants to attend grad school?

Sure. But it's unhelpful. Not many people apply who don't like physics.

Likes beamie564

Related to Queries for statement of purpose

1. What is a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose is a document that outlines your academic and professional goals, and explains why you are interested in pursuing a particular field of study or career path. It is typically required as part of the application process for graduate school or certain job positions.

2. How is a statement of purpose different from a personal statement?

A statement of purpose is more focused on your academic and professional goals, while a personal statement may include more personal experiences and anecdotes. A statement of purpose should also be tailored specifically to the program or position you are applying for, while a personal statement can be more general.

3. What should be included in a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose should include an introduction that explains your background and interests, a clear and concise statement of your goals, specific reasons for choosing the program or position, and any relevant experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate. It should also be well-written and error-free.

4. How long should a statement of purpose be?

The length of a statement of purpose can vary, but it is typically 1-2 pages in length. It is important to follow any specific guidelines provided by the program or employer, as some may have a specific word or page limit.

5. Can I use the same statement of purpose for multiple applications?

While some elements of your statement of purpose may be applicable to multiple programs or positions, it is important to tailor each statement to the specific requirements and goals of each application. Using the same statement for multiple applications may make it seem generic and less relevant to the specific program or position you are applying for.