1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Chemical Engineers get to travel the world?

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    Do Chemical Engineers get to travel the world????

Hi, just wondering if chemical engineers get to travel the world for their job?

Like if you think of civil engineers, their companies will regularly contract them to do projects overseas, similar to mech and elec engineers, but for chemical engineers, all I can imagine is them stuck in one chemical plant in some rural place for years...

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I want to continue studying Chem Eng and I might want to switch to either civil or mech as I really don't want to stay in one isolated chemical plant for my entire life...

Any actual Chemical Engineers out there that could give info/advice/what you do on a daily basis??

Thanks and a lot appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

danago

Gold Member

Re: Do Chemical Engineers get to travel the world????

I am not a seasoned chemical engineer, but I have worked as a student chemical engineer on an internship program and had a bit of exposure to what chemical engineers do. The company I was working for was a very large oil and gas firm, and I can say without any doubt that the chemical engineers had a lot of opportunity to travel. At the location in which I was working, some of the chemical engineers would finish their 3-4 year graduate program and then go to other locations around the world. I know some went to Houston, some went to Alaska and I know of one who went to Finland. I also know that some of the engineers have gone to various locations around the world for conferences and training programs, and even to visit other company business units to learn more about the industry. Like I said, the company I worked for was a very large multinational corporation, so that probably helps. I can't really speak for other smaller firms, hopefully somebody else with more experience can give some insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook