1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I have a chance to get into top physics programs?

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I know such questions have been asked several times in this forum, but it would be a nice guide for me to choose where to apply.

I am an Electronics Engineering bachelor student from a university in the middle east that does not have a physics program (and physics programs in my country are bad anyway). However, I have two REU's in theoretical physics in Germany (with one presentation and poster), I'm the top of my class (about 500 students) with an A+ in all courses, I have excellent recommendations, I have won several regional contests in math, programming and chemistry, I had several math and physics extracurricular courses and I had a 990 in the physics GRE.

I know that the fact that my undergraduate major is not physics will make the admission committee not sure about my physics background and will be a big minus but I want to ask if
    I have a reasonable chance to get into places like Princeton or Stanford, or should I try lower ranked universitirs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2
    I'm not really qualified to comment, but I gotta think you have a decent chance.

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    where are you right now? it'll make a difference

5. Dec 20, 2009 #4
    I am in my final year at my university in Egypt (probably not a known university in the US)

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5
    No matter what you think your chances are, apply to both. Apply to a lot of schools. Pick a few that you really want to go to but may not get into. Pick a bunch that you'd like to go to and you think you have a good chance at, and pick a few that you're confident you can get into.

Also, it depends on what kind of physics you plan to study.

Hope this helps.

7. Dec 26, 2009 #6
    Well, I am planning to study theoretical condensed matter physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook