1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need to know Solid State Physics for Field Theory?

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    Solid State Physics

Quantum mechanics and quantum nature of solids, properties of materials. Band theory in metals and semiconductors. Conduction processes, the p-n junction, transistors and other solid state devices.

Field Theory

Review of vector analysis and coordinate systems. Coulomb's law and electric field intensity. Gauss's law and electric flux density. The electric potential and potential gradient. Electric fields in material space. Poisson's and Laplace's equations. Capacitance. Biot-Savart's Law and magnetic field intensity. Ampere's circuital law and the magnetic flux density. Magnetic forces. Self and mutual inductances. Time-varying fields and Maxwell's equations.

I want to drop Solid State Physics but I have Field Theory next semester. Solid State Physics isn't a pre-requisite for Field Theory but just to make sure, can someone double check?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electromagnetic field theory is independent of solid state.

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook