1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math required for Statistical and solid state physics

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    I have to take a graduate level statistical mech course and a solid state physics course next sem (starting in feb).As I will be dealing with these topics for the first time, I'd like to like to prepare myself for them by learning/revising the math involved in them. What are the mathematical methods that frequently appear in these subjects?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

For statistical physics, I suggest a review of probability theory (including binomial coefficients, law of large numbers, central limit theorem). Knowing how to tackle Gaussian integrals is also important. A review of series expansions is also useful.

4. Nov 24, 2015 #3
    Will I require tensor analysis, fourier series/transform and complex analysis? These are some of the things I am not quite in touch with.

5. Nov 24, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Not for statistical physics.

6. Nov 24, 2015 #5

one

Probability

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook