Should I buy Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics?

In summary: You might want to check out some of these books:Another classic is Ashcroft and Mermin, which I like for looking up something about solid-state physics, but I'm not an expert in this field. You might want to check out some of these books:In summary, you should buy Kittlel's Introduction to Solid State Physics if you are looking for a good primer on the topic, or you could consider Solid State Physics by AJ Dekker if you want a more in-depth treatment.
Slimy0233
I want to know your opinion on whether I should buy Kittlel's Introduction to Solid State Physics or some other book to study Solid State Physics. I was going through the solutions manual for the book and I realized that it had only 72 questions in it. I was wondering if it was enough to get a good understanding of Solid State Physics? Should I be buying other books along with Kittel to get a deeper understanding of the topic as well as solve problems? thank you! Or should I go with Solid State Pysics by AJ Dekker?

Edit: I have Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov, might this and Kittel be enough?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
You could find course websites which uses Kittel as main book and see if you can find homeworks, additional problems, old exams and such

Have you considered https://www.amazon.com/dp/352740855X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or https://www.amazon.se/gp/aw/d/9814366870/
Hey, I just found out that Kittel is not that easy to understand and Dekker would be an excellent book for a beginner. Do you agree with this?

Thank you again! (might make a post about this, this has hardly been discussed in this forum)

Another classic is Ashcroft and Mermin, which I like for looking up something about solid-state physics, but I'm not an expert in this field.

Likes mpresic3

1. What is the level of difficulty of Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics?

The level of difficulty of Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics is considered to be intermediate. It assumes a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, but does not require advanced knowledge in these subjects.

2. Is Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics suitable for self-study?

Yes, Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics is suitable for self-study. It is well-structured and includes exercises and solutions to help with understanding the material.

3. How up-to-date is Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics?

Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics is regularly updated to include the latest developments in the field. The latest edition was published in 2005 and includes recent advancements in solid state physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics?

A basic understanding of physics and mathematics is recommended for understanding Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics. Familiarity with concepts such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics will also be helpful.

5. Is Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics a good resource for research purposes?

Yes, Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics is a comprehensive and authoritative resource for research purposes. It covers a wide range of topics and includes references to further reading for more in-depth study.