Do Irreducibles Induce Algebraic Extensions?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Given [tex]K[/tex] a field, and [tex] f\in K[x][/tex] an irreducible (monic) polynomial. Does it follow that the field [tex] K[x]/\left<f\right>[/tex] is an algebraic extension of [tex]K[/tex]?

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i think so. in general, if M is a maximal ideal in a commutative ring R, then R/M is a field. If R contains a subfield k, then R/M is an extension of k. So in your case the ring K[X] contains the subfield K, and since K[X] is a Euclidean ring, hence also a p.i.d., an irreducible polynomial f generates a maximal ideal, so K[X]/(f) is a field extension of K.

Moreover the degree (vector dimension) of the extension equals the degree of f, hence is finite, and every finite extension is definitely algebraic. so YES!

I had to think through all the details since I am old and losing my memory. hope this helps.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Isn't the answer obvious from the definition of "algebraic extension"? The interesting part is that it's a field and not just a ring.

(Hrm. I suppose there are equivalent definitions, and some would be less obvious than others. Which are you using?)