Experts Ask Your Questions Here

• Thread starter Todda468
  • Start date
In summary: A strong enough magnet could damage the hard drive if it was placed on or near it. Destroying a CRT monitor is a possibility if the monitor is not secured to the wall. Destroying a hard drive with a magnet is possible, but requires a high level of magnetic field exposure.
Todda468
I want answers from people who know what they are talking about.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's no doubt that magnets would wipe old, unshielded magnetic discs. However, new modern magnetic drives are shielded and we have solid-state memory.

A sufficiently strong magnet, held sufficiently close, for a sufficiently long time can and will destroy data on a hard drive.

The conflicting true versus false claims you have heard are almost certainly based on an arbitrary definition of "sufficient".

On the other hand, I don't know if a magnet could do any damage to the computer system itself, except inasmuch as it could destroy the boot data stored on the hard drive, rendering the computer unbootable until a new system is installed.

DaveC426913 said:
A sufficiently strong magnet, held sufficiently close, for a sufficiently long time can and will destroy data on a hard drive.

The conflicting true versus false claims you have heard are almost certainly based on an arbitrary definition of "sufficient".

On the other hand, I don't know if a magnet could do any damage to the computer system itself, except inasmuch as it could destroy the boot data stored on the hard drive, rendering the computer unbootable until a new system is installed.

Well they can definately destroy CRT monitors as well. I did it by semi-accident as a child once (my parents were not amused).

In order to destroy modern hard drives, magnetic field in the range of Tesla is required. Such a magnitude of magnetic field can be generated by powerful neodymium magnets, metallic scrap picking machine's electromagnet, MRI machine etc. Damage to entire computer can occur only by powerful electromagnet pulses which can create high voltage transients (of the order mega volts and mega amperes) sufficient enough to melt the p-n junction of the semi-conductors.

BishopUser said:
Well they can definately destroy CRT monitors as well. I did it by semi-accident as a child once (my parents were not amused).

'struth.

I was considering the box/CPU only.

What is "Experts Ask Your Questions Here" all about?

"Experts Ask Your Questions Here" is a platform where individuals can submit questions on a variety of topics and have them answered by experts in their respective fields. It is a way for people to gain knowledge and insights from knowledgeable professionals.

How can I ask a question on "Experts Ask Your Questions Here"?

To ask a question, simply visit the website and click on the "Ask a Question" button. You will then be prompted to provide your name, email address, and the question you would like to ask. Once submitted, your question will be reviewed by our team and sent to an appropriate expert for an answer.

Who are the experts answering the questions on "Experts Ask Your Questions Here"?

The experts on "Experts Ask Your Questions Here" are professionals in their respective fields. They have a wide range of knowledge and experience and are committed to providing accurate and helpful answers to the questions submitted.

How long does it take to receive an answer to my question?

The time it takes to receive an answer to your question may vary depending on the complexity of the question and the availability of an expert in that particular field. However, our team strives to provide answers within 24-48 hours.

Is there a fee for using "Experts Ask Your Questions Here"?

No, "Experts Ask Your Questions Here" is a free platform for all users. There are no fees for submitting or receiving answers to questions.