Need program to convert MPG to MP4

In summary: The OP's history of 18 messages runs from 2009 to 2020, so I don't see why you would want to look at his history to make a decision. If you have something to say, just say it. If you don't, don't say anything.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a safe and efficient way to convert a MPG file to MP4 format. Various suggestions are given, such as using VLC Media Player, Handbrake, and online tools like CloudConvert and Softonic. However, there is some concern about the safety of online converters and the reliability of software from Softonic due to past experiences with bundled malware. Overall, it is recommended to use VLC Media Player as
yungman
Hi

I have a MPG file that I cannot watch on my computer. My computer will play MP4, I know there are online program to convert MPG to MP4, I want to get a safe link from you experts before I dare to do that.

This is what I found, but I want to get your feedback before I do anything:
https://cloudconvert.com/mpg-to-mp4

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Likes Algr, yungman, hutchphd and 5 others
As sysprog mentioned, download VLC player, it will play practically any format.

Converting formats is an unnecessary pain and depending on the quality of the video being converted, it could take quite a while.

Likes jedishrfu, Vanadium 50, sysprog and 1 other person
Likes pbuk and jedishrfu
I use Zune (free). It can covert video files from one format to another or an audio file.

This thread is a great example of why PhysicsForums (or any public forum) is not a good place to ask for general software advice. Having said that, here are my comments on the recommendations so far:

sysprog said:
Perhaps try to play your mpg file with VLC Media Player -- https://www.videolan.org/
MikeeMiracle said:
As sysprog mentioned, download VLC player, it will play practically any format.
Jarvis323 said:
I agree that VLC is the way to go.
VLC is open source software with a substantial team led by a not-for-profit organisation. It is used by many corporations and public bodies and included as the default media player in a number of Linux distributions. It is about as robust as publicly available software can get and almost all IT professionals would recommend it.

Jarvis323 said:
But if you want to convert it anyways, you can use handbrake.
Handbrake uses much of the same software as VLC under the hood so it is fairly robust, but given:
sysprog said:
... there is no reason to use it unless you strongly prefer its interface to VLC.

Jarvis323 said:
The online tools like cloudconvert might be safe. But there is some plausability that they could somehow give you back a file with something malicious in it.
In general this is true of online converters and with a few exceptions I wouldn't go near them, however CloudConvert is a business that makes its money by selling file conversion services: this business would evaporate overnight if they injected malware. Make sure you are connecting to the genuine site and not a typosquatter by accurately yrtyping cloudconvert.com into your browser address bar.

mathman said:
I use Zune (free). It can covert video files from one format to another or an audio file.
There are many free products that have the name Zune in them, I wouldn't go near any of them.

dlgoff said:
Softonic is a freeware distribution site that used to make its money by bundling toolbars and other unwanted products that were a millimeter short of malware. They say they no longer do this but I wouldn't touch anything from there with a barge pole.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and sysprog
As usual, nice post, @pbuk -- in particular:
pbuk said:
VLC is open source software with a substantial team led by a not-for-profit organisation. It is used by many corporations and public bodies and included as the default media player in a number of Linux distributions. It is about as robust as publicly available software can get and almost all IT professionals would recommend it.
. . . and it has a great user and coder community support and discussion base . . .

• Love
Likes pbuk
pbuk said:
Softonic is a freeware distribution site that used to make its money by bundling toolbars and other unwanted products that were a millimeter short of malware. They say they no longer do this but I wouldn't touch anything from there with a barge pole.
I use it often and have never seen the program try to install any malware. Don't understand where you are coming from.

dlgoff said:
I use it often and have never seen the program try to install any malware. Don't understand where you are coming from.
I've seen (years ago) software versions from them that offer to install a 'browser helper object' toolbar, as an adjunct install along with the program that I was seeking to install, and it had to be explicitly declined in order to not be installed. I didn't ask for that to be included with my download. That means that they bundled something unwanted with the program that I wanted to download.

Likes pbuk
I've seen this bundled behavior also, it relies on people just clicking "next" all the time without reading what they are agreeing to. The 1st option is to install is the toolbar, you just click "no" and then the program installs without anything extra.

This is how a number of these software download sites make money by relying on people not reading what they are agreeing to when they agree to install the toolbar / software bundled with whatever it is that they wanted to install.

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
MikeeMiracle said:
relying on people not reading what they are agreeing to
I suggest that one look at the OP's history before proposing a solution that requires a lot of this up-front reading.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
sysprog said:
I've seen (years ago) software versions from them that offer to install a 'browser helper object' toolbar, as an adjunct install along with the program that I was seeking to install, and it had to be explicitly declined in order to not be installed. I didn't ask for that to be included with my download. That means that they bundled something unwanted with the program that I wanted to download.
I just looked and I installed it in 2013. So it's been a while.

Likes sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
I suggest that one look at the OP's history before proposing a solution that requires a lot of this up-front reading.
I think that your suggestion is good; however, VLC can be downloaded without trouble or bundled-in stuff, and can play mpg files without a lot of up-front reading required . . .
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

pbuk said:
This thread is a great example of why PhysicsForums (or any public forum) is not a good place to ask for general software advice.
Yeah, my first thought at reading this was that a computer without a native capability to play .mpg files is not a thing. Though the OP didn't tell us anything about the computer...

People are answering the question asked, but maybe it is the wrong question. Maybe the file has the wrong extension, is corrupted or the computer's video player isn't working properly.

sysprog said:
VLC can be downloaded without trouble or bundled-in stuff, and can play mpg files without a lot of up-front reading required . . .
That may be a bit broad. I just found VLC at download.com, where they try to induce you to also download other stuff.

So just because VLC can be downloaded without risk someplace, that does not mean that all download sites for VLC are risk free or reputable. The Internet is like the Wild West. Safe surfing takes a lot of thought and a bit of education.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
That may be a bit broad. I just found VLC at download.com, where they try to induce you to also download other stuff.

So just because VLC can be downloaded without risk someplace, that does not mean that all download sites for VLC are risk free or reputable. The Internet is like the Wild West. Safe surfing takes a lot of thought and a bit of education.
I agree -- that's why I included the proper link -- as you well know, any open-source product (or any other product, for that matter) can be subjected to other stuff being connected to it in 'piggyback' fashion -- anyone who wants VLC for Windows should get it from:
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Likes pbuk
russ_watters said:
Yeah, my first thought at reading this was that a computer without a native capability to play .mpg files is not a thing.
Microsoft software does not include an MPEG-2 codec by default, you have to download it separately.

Likes russ_watters and sysprog
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G
sysprog said:
Perhaps try to play your mpg file with VLC Media Player -- https://www.videolan.org/
Thank you sysprog, I finally downloaded VLC and it works perfect.

Thanks

Likes berkeman, dlgoff and sysprog
From post #5:
sysprog said:
If you have VLC, and you just want to play the video, it's not necessary to convert MPG to MP4 ##-## VLC (available free at https://videolan.org/) can play either format, as well as many others, but, as @pbuk pointed out in post #19:
pbuk said:
Microsoft software does not include an MPEG-2 codec by default, you have to download it separately.
MPEG-2 is mostly used for DVD video files, which @yungman (the OP) said in another thread he uses for his home movies ##-## he said in post #21 that he was able to play his files with VLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try online tool and if you are using mobile phone so you can use Video Converter app by VidSoftLab, which is easy to use.
Else, you can try FormatFactory in case of computer.
Hope one of the source will help you to solve your issue.

chandrabhansharmaa21 said:
You can try online tool and if you are using mobile phone so you can use Video Converter app by VidSoftLab, which is easy to use.
Else, you can try FormatFactory in case of computer.
Hope one of the source will help you to solve your issue.
While online tools can be convenient, just realize that you'll be moving a lot of data (since video files can be very large)... there and back.

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of converting MPG to MP4?

The purpose of converting MPG to MP4 is to change the file format of a video from MPG (MPEG) to MP4 (MPEG-4), which is a more widely supported and versatile format. This allows the video to be played on a variety of devices and platforms, making it more accessible and shareable.

Can I convert MPG to MP4 without losing quality?

Yes, it is possible to convert MPG to MP4 without losing quality. However, this depends on the conversion program you are using and the settings you choose. It is important to select a high-quality conversion program and to adjust the settings to preserve the video's original quality as much as possible.

What is the best program for converting MPG to MP4?

There are many programs available for converting MPG to MP4, and the best one will vary depending on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include HandBrake, Any Video Converter, and Freemake Video Converter. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the one that best suits your needs.

Do I need to pay for a program to convert MPG to MP4?

There are both free and paid programs available for converting MPG to MP4. While some free programs may have limited features or advertisements, there are also many high-quality free options available. Paid programs may offer more advanced features and technical support, but it is not necessary to pay for a program to successfully convert MPG to MP4.

Can I convert MPG to MP4 on a Mac or PC?

Yes, you can convert MPG to MP4 on both Mac and PC computers. There are many programs available for both operating systems, and the conversion process is generally the same. However, it is important to make sure the program you choose is compatible with your specific computer and operating system.