Need program to convert MPG to MP4

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
Hi

I have a MPG file that I cannot watch on my computer. My computer will play MP4, I know there are online program to convert MPG to MP4, I want to get a safe link from you experts before I dare to do that.

This is what I found, but I want to get your feedback before I do anything:
https://cloudconvert.com/mpg-to-mp4

Thanks

Answers and Replies

As sysprog mentioned, download VLC player, it will play practically any format.

Converting formats is an unnecessary pain and depending on the quality of the video being converted, it could take quite a while.

Likes jedishrfu, Vanadium 50, sysprog and 1 other person
mathman
Science Advisor
I use Zune (free). It can covert video files from one format to another or an audio file.

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This thread is a great example of why PhysicsForums (or any public forum) is not a good place to ask for general software advice. Having said that, here are my comments on the recommendations so far:

Perhaps try to play your mpg file with VLC Media Player -- https://www.videolan.org/
As sysprog mentioned, download VLC player, it will play practically any format.
I agree that VLC is the way to go.
VLC is open source software with a substantial team led by a not-for-profit organisation. It is used by many corporations and public bodies and included as the default media player in a number of Linux distributions. It is about as robust as publicly available software can get and almost all IT professionals would recommend it.

But if you want to convert it anyways, you can use handbrake.
Handbrake uses much of the same software as VLC under the hood so it is fairly robust, but given:
... there is no reason to use it unless you strongly prefer its interface to VLC.

The online tools like cloudconvert might be safe. But there is some plausability that they could somehow give you back a file with something malicious in it.
In general this is true of online converters and with a few exceptions I wouldn't go near them, however CloudConvert is a business that makes its money by selling file conversion services: this business would evaporate overnight if they injected malware. Make sure you are connecting to the genuine site and not a typosquatter by accurately yrtyping cloudconvert.com into your browser address bar.

I use Zune (free). It can covert video files from one format to another or an audio file.
There are many free products that have the name Zune in them, I wouldn't go near any of them.

Softonic is a freeware distribution site that used to make its money by bundling toolbars and other unwanted products that were a millimeter short of malware. They say they no longer do this but I wouldn't touch anything from there with a barge pole.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and sysprog
As usual, nice post, @pbuk -- in particular:
pbuk said:
VLC is open source software with a substantial team led by a not-for-profit organisation. It is used by many corporations and public bodies and included as the default media player in a number of Linux distributions. It is about as robust as publicly available software can get and almost all IT professionals would recommend it.
. . . and it has a great user and coder community support and discussion base . . .

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Softonic is a freeware distribution site that used to make its money by bundling toolbars and other unwanted products that were a millimeter short of malware. They say they no longer do this but I wouldn't touch anything from there with a barge pole.
I use it often and have never seen the program try to install any malware. Don't understand where you are coming from.

I use it often and have never seen the program try to install any malware. Don't understand where you are coming from.
I've seen (years ago) software versions from them that offer to install a 'browser helper object' toolbar, as an adjunct install along with the program that I was seeking to install, and it had to be explicitly declined in order to not be installed. I didn't ask for that to be included with my download. That means that they bundled something unwanted with the program that I wanted to download.

I've seen this bundled behavior also, it relies on people just clicking "next" all the time without reading what they are agreeing to. The 1st option is to install is the toolbar, you just click "no" and then the program installs without anything extra.

This is how a number of these software download sites make money by relying on people not reading what they are agreeing to when they agree to install the toolbar / software bundled with whatever it is that they wanted to install.

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
relying on people not reading what they are agreeing to
I suggest that one look at the OP's history before proposing a solution that requires a lot of this up-front reading.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've seen (years ago) software versions from them that offer to install a 'browser helper object' toolbar, as an adjunct install along with the program that I was seeking to install, and it had to be explicitly declined in order to not be installed. I didn't ask for that to be included with my download. That means that they bundled something unwanted with the program that I wanted to download.
I just looked and I installed it in 2013. So it's been a while.

I suggest that one look at the OP's history before proposing a solution that requires a lot of this up-front reading.
I think that your suggestion is good; however, VLC can be downloaded without trouble or bundled-in stuff, and can play mpg files without a lot of up-front reading required . . .
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

russ_watters
Mentor
This thread is a great example of why PhysicsForums (or any public forum) is not a good place to ask for general software advice.
Yeah, my first thought at reading this was that a computer without a native capability to play .mpg files is not a thing. Though the OP didn't tell us anything about the computer....

People are answering the question asked, but maybe it is the wrong question. Maybe the file has the wrong extension, is corrupted or the computer's video player isn't working properly.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
VLC can be downloaded without trouble or bundled-in stuff, and can play mpg files without a lot of up-front reading required . . .
That may be a bit broad. I just found VLC at download.com, where they try to induce you to also download other stuff.

So just because VLC can be downloaded without risk someplace, that does not mean that all download sites for VLC are risk free or reputable. The Internet is like the Wild West. Safe surfing takes a lot of thought and a bit of education.

Likes russ_watters
That may be a bit broad. I just found VLC at download.com, where they try to induce you to also download other stuff.

So just because VLC can be downloaded without risk someplace, that does not mean that all download sites for VLC are risk free or reputable. The Internet is like the Wild West. Safe surfing takes a lot of thought and a bit of education.
I agree -- that's why I included the proper link -- as you well know, any open-source product (or any other product, for that matter) can be subjected to other stuff being connected to it in 'piggyback' fashion -- anyone who wants VLC for Windows should get it from:
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, my first thought at reading this was that a computer without a native capability to play .mpg files is not a thing.
Microsoft software does not include an MPEG-2 codec by default, you have to download it separately.

Likes russ_watters and sysprog
Likes berkeman, dlgoff and sysprog