Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do NOT buy a Unicomp keyboard!

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Mine just failed with a whole strip of keys that won't register. 4,5 t,r f,g v,c will not register. Customer "service" told me to ship the keyboard back (I have to buy packing materials and pay for shipping...) and they will fix it and return it. If you pay $100 for a premium tactile keyboard, you'd expect a prompt replacement, along with a prepaid shipping label. If so, you are expecting too much. Unicomp is a rip-off! They are trafficking on the IBM/Lexmark brands, and they don't deliver the quality nor the customer service.

I have installed and set up more computers than I can remember, and have never seen a keyboard failure like this before. Still, Unicomp won't ship a replacement because "that's not our business model". I may just toss this piece of junk in the trash.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2
    Good to know, but I've never heard of them. Very bad customer response! Not a way to stay in business. Was there something unqiue about their keyboards that got your attention? I pretty much stick to MS and Logitech keyboards, although for gaming, I've considered the Razor.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I bought a Unicomp keyboard because they touted the quality of their keyboards, citing the IBM/Lexmark equipment and supplies. I have installed hundreds of computers over the years, and have never had an IBM keyboard fail like this.

5. Jul 5, 2012 #4
    Well,maybe I have been out because I have never heard of Unicomp keyboard before. :biggrin: It's so lucky I see your post now and won't buy this keyboard,thanks your warmhearted post!

6. Jan 31, 2013 #5
    I have owned a Unicomp Classic 108 key model for 2 years without a glitch, and absolutely love the ergonomics. It's a little loud, but it's truly a classic IBM feel. I was getting to buy another for my home computer when I came across this post. Sorry you are experiencing these problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook