Do Photons Have Mass Despite General Relativity?

• Thread starter Evenus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: However, your understanding of physics is impressive for someone your age. Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons and their mass, with the questioner wondering how they can have a mass of 0 when everything is thought to have a mass. It is explained that photons are an example of something without mass, and that mass is just the energy of a particle when it is not moving. The purpose of photons is also discussed, with the explanation that they are gauge particles and contribute to the electromagnetic field. Finally, the conversation notes the questioner's age and their knowledge of physics, despite their spelling and grammar mistakes.
Evenus1
I am knew only in year 9 but am doing some research on photons and was wondering how they have a mass of 0 as I thought every thing had to have a mass to be within the realms of reality or general relativity.
but I might just be wrong and if so could you explain it to me simply why and the correct reasons.
Thanks
Evenus1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations Evenus1 for thinking about such things at age 9.

No it is not true that everything needs mass to be real. You already have the number one example - photons. Photons are very real a
Yet they have zero mass.

It is better to think that all particles have energy. Mass is just the energy of the particle that remains when the particle is not moving (momentum zero). Photons never stop moving. They have energy, but no mass.

Later, you will learn that energy and mass are related.

Excellent question at your age. Anorlunda has addressed part of your question but I'd like to address the other part of your subject line "what is their purpose". In science, basically, fundamental things don't HAVE a purpose, they just exist. Purpose is something ascribed to those things by humans, but nature doesn't really care what we think it just does what it does. We say that light has the purpose of allowing humans to see, but nature creates photons whether we are here to use them or not.

That is, a baseball HAS a purpose because it is a macro object designed by humans FOR a purpose, but it is made up of fundamental particles called quarks and electrons and THEY don't have a purpose, they just exist. The goal of physics is to identify such fundamental objects and learn how they came about and how they work and how they interact with other objects to make up the universe we live in.

Likes vanhees71
hi its me agian i am not nine but 14 soz but in uk and there school system is in years not grades lol

Photons fit in as gauge particles. That is, they are what the electromagnetic field is made of. Light, radio waves, magnetism, electric charge, all of that involves photons.

They are massless because they have gauge symmetry. I know that sounds like so much gobble-dee-gook now. But basically, symmetry is the argument. If they had mass they would spoil this symmetry. And this symmetry is what makes electromagnetism a long-distance interaction. Or to put it another way, Maxwell's equations imply an interaction involving a massless vector field.

You probably won't make much traction on that at your level. You will need to study some calculus at least. You may get to start that in year 11 or 12 if you are keen.

Evenus1 said:
hi its me agian i am not nine but 14 soz but in uk and there school system is in years not grades lol
For someone 14 years old in UK, your knowledge of physics (English) is much above (below) average. No one's perfect, I guess. ;)

Demystifier said:
For someone 14 years old in UK, your knowledge of physics (English) is much above (below) average. No one's perfect, I guess. ;)
i don't understan your brackets they don't make sence

i am sort of trying to lern some basic calculus as. i need it for some of my algorithms

Evenus1 said:
i don't understan your brackets they don't make sence
He is saying

physics above average
English below average

This reflects the fact that your spelling is atrocious and your grammar is only slightly better.

Related to Do Photons Have Mass Despite General Relativity?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It has zero mass and carries energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the purpose of photons?

The purpose of photons is to transmit electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays. They are also responsible for carrying the energy of light and allowing us to see the world around us.

3. How are photons created?

Photons are created through the emission of energy from an atom or molecule. This can occur through various processes such as thermal excitation, electron transitions, or nuclear reactions.

4. Do photons have a lifespan?

Photons do not have a lifespan in the traditional sense, as they do not decay or break down over time. However, they can be absorbed or scattered by other particles, altering their energy and direction.

5. Can photons be used for anything besides light and energy transmission?

Yes, photons have many applications in various fields. They can be used in medical imaging, telecommunications, and even quantum computing. Scientists are constantly discovering new ways to utilize the properties of photons for different purposes.