Can an electron in a magnetic field radiate a virtual photon?

In summary, Leonard Susskind discusses the process of an electron in a higher energy spin state emitting a photon and flipping into a lower energy spin state in the presence of a magnetic field. This photon is a real photon and is not related to virtual photons that mediate the electromagnetic field. In the context of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the transitions of protons in the hydrogen nucleus are similar to the electron Zeeman splitting but are not usually referred to as such. While classical physics can explain most of the details of magnetic resonance, a quantum explanation may sometimes be easier to understand. Virtual photons, which are internal lines in Feynman diagrams, cannot be radiated as real photons and are best understood through further reading. The emitted photon in
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Does a spin in a magnetic field radiate a virtual photon?
In Theoretical Minimum: Quantum mechanics, Leonard Susskind describes an electron in the higher energy spin state in a magnetic field radiates a photon of energy ##\hbarγ|B_0|## and flips into the lower energy spin state. I am wondering if this photon is related to the "virutal photon" that mediates the electromagnetic field. I am wondering whether a large number of such a photon relates the Zeeman transition of the spin 1/2 particles to a classically observable magnetic field, such as MRI? I am sorry if my question is not clear, I do not have a strong background in physics yet. A thoughtful explanation including equations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantum description of absorbing energy by atoms (or electrons) for magnetic resonance involves actual (not virtual) photons of low energy (i.e. radio frequencies). The MRI uses the transitions of protons in the hydrogen nucleus and so while similar to the electron Zeeman splitting, it is not usually called that.
Most of the details of magnetic resonance are completely understandable in terms of Classical physics although the Quantum explanation is sometimes easier to understand.

There are many articles extant without me reproducing them here.

The photon emitted due to a spin flip of an electron within an atom with the energy difference between the two possible spin orientations due to the magnetic field of nucleus, i.e., the hyperfine structure of the atomic energy levels, is of course a real photon. It can be observed as em. waves. The most important example for astrophysicists is the 21 cm (wavelength) line of the hydrogen atom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_line

1. Can an electron in a magnetic field radiate a virtual photon?

Yes, an electron in a magnetic field can radiate a virtual photon. This process is known as the "Bremsstrahlung" or "braking radiation" effect.

2. What is a virtual photon?

A virtual photon is a particle that is not directly observable, as it exists only briefly as an intermediate state in a quantum interaction. It carries the electromagnetic force between charged particles.

3. How does an electron in a magnetic field radiate a virtual photon?

When an electron is accelerated or decelerated in a magnetic field, it emits a virtual photon. This is due to the change in the electron's momentum, which creates an oscillating electric field that produces the virtual photon.

4. What is the significance of an electron radiating a virtual photon?

The emission of a virtual photon by an electron in a magnetic field is an important process in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in explaining the phenomenon of electromagnetic radiation.

5. Can virtual photons be observed?

No, virtual photons cannot be directly observed. They only exist for a very short period of time and are not detectable by any known instruments. However, their effects can be observed through the behavior of particles in quantum interactions.