Do Physics majors watch reality tv?

Mentalist
I suppose the answer depends on what one means by 'reality' TV. If it means shows about dysfunctional celebrities, or folks performing ridiculous stunts, then probably and hopefully no.

If it means programs like PBS's NOVA, or back in the day, CBS's 21st Century (sponsored by Union Carbide, renamed from The 20th Century), then perhaps some physics and science majors watch it.

In high school, I'd watch news or movies and do homework. On weekends, I spend a lot of time in either the city library or university library researching military history, pyrotechnics and high explosives, astrophysics, and plasma, nuclear and particle physics - and the occasional foray into political history, moral philosophy and religious studies - particular eastern religions.

In university, I was too busy to watch TV. In grad school, I would watch the news, and maybe programs like Dr. Who and Star Trek, otherwise, I was doing homework, research or at a full time job.

Professionally, my TV watching is spotty - mostly movies. Otherwise, I'm at PF or doing research.
Hm, I didn't do quite what you did but my early life was a bit similar (middle-High School).

I just wanted to address the first statement though, why? Why would you hope not?

I don't know it seems like my friends that are really into education look down on reality tv shows and stars
I find those looking down on others over trivial matters unwise. But then again, I am also foolish. Hopefully I will be wiser as I get older. Surely, I've undergone a LOT of growth emotionally over the years, but I can still be a bit of a pain in the *** as I am still a bit confrontational/aggressive.

But my main remark here has a lot to do with if you cannot justify, reasonably, why you "look down on others" for certain actions, it is child-like. It comes off as, "they don't do what I do, so I don't like them", or, "they don't like what I like, I don't like it", and, "why don't they think in terms of what I think like?" It's just silly to think in such manners which is why I find it unwise.

Hm, I didn't do quite what you did but my early life was a bit similar (middle-High School).

I just wanted to address the first statement though, why? Why would you hope not?

I find those looking down on others over trivial matters unwise. But then again, I am also foolish. Hopefully I will be wiser as I get older. Surely, I've undergone a LOT of growth emotionally over the years, but I can still be a bit of a pain in the *** as I am still a bit confrontational/aggressive.

But my main remark here has a lot to do with if you cannot justify, reasonably, why you "look down on others" for certain actions, it is child-like. It comes off as, "they don't do what I do, so I don't like them", or, "they don't like what I like, I don't like it", and, "why don't they think in terms of what I think like?" It's just silly to think in such manners which is why I find it unwise.
spending hours each day watching the ridiculous and most of the time scripted antics of people on TV is not really something trivial. It's a humungo waste of time that could be spent doing things that are actually enriching.

Mentalist
provided 1, you know their habits, 2, you are there noting how long they watch TV, 3, know what days they work, 4, know what work they should be doing instead of watching those shows, etc...

In other words, where's your case study?

Enrichment? Instead of posting on PF, how about you meditate?

provided 1, you know their habits, 2, you are there noting how long they watch TV, 3, know what days they work, 4, know what work they should be doing instead of watching those shows, etc...

In other words, where's your case study?

Enrichment? Instead of posting on PF, how about you meditate?
so you're suggesting that it's possible that watching hours of reality TV can be *not* an absolute waste of time

Mentalist
Like I said before, where is your case study saying that those who watch reality TV watch it for hours.

To my 2nd point, you're talking about "enrichment", you don't need to be here when your life can be enriched by meditating. If people ought to be "enriched" in life and not waste their idle time doing mundane things, you should put your words to action by signing off of PF and begin meditating.

Like I said before, where is your case study saying that those who watch reality TV watch it for hours.

To my 2nd point, you're talking about "enrichment", you don't need to be here when your life can be enriched by meditating. If people ought to be "enriched" in life and not waste their idle time doing mundane things, you should put your words to action by signing off of PF and begin meditating.
that's assuming that I do not get enrichment out of PF. I enjoy helping people on occasion in the HW help forums and I enjoy reading the discussions in the political forum and I enjoy reading about stuff in the astronomy forums.

These are all things that enrich my knowledge and enrich my experience.

Being a potato on the couch does not do this. Especially now that the history/discovery channels are kaput.

I don't believe that I need a case study to show this.

Whoa I seem to be getting attacked on here, my question wasn't meant to put down people or their viewing choices. I got the idea for the question because I told my dad I was thinking about going back to school to study physics, and he said then you have to quit watching the idiot box and all those reality tv shows you watch. I said I don't watch reality tv, and I said how do you know people who are studying science don't watch it either, so that's why I asked to basically win an argument with my dad. I have a few friends that are what I consider serious students, one is getting their masters in english, and he went on a rant a few weeks ago about how he thought Kim Kardashian was basically a slut, and he doesn't understand how anyone could watch her or even like her. Personally I like Kim Kardashian, can't stand the show, cause it's fake, but I like her. She doesn't drink or smoke, seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders, and overall seems to be nice. So that's it in a nutshell, my reason for asking.

Also the reason I think reality tv is crap, is because it's so staged that it's hardly reality, and I have a little jealousy towards people that get rich and famous that way.

So basically between my dad and that friend of mine are why I asked.

I come on here about once a week, I hardly spend hours a day on here.

Mentalist
@Shish.

Why are you arguing with me when you should be "enriching" yourself?

I come on here about once a week, I hardly spend hours a day on here.
The post you quoted was not directed towards you.

Your initial post indicated you being "attacked". I have not attacked one person here. But I can see where you are coming from now in terms of reality TV shows being somewhat staged. I don't think Survivor is staged at all.

I don't know who said what on here I just went and looked at my e-mail and noticed there was quite a few msgs from this board on this topic and I went and looked and just got the feeling that people thought I was generalizing them, and being a snob So, I'm sorry if I got you mixed up with someone else.

To your meditation remark, I have no idea how to meditate. I'm just naturally a high strung person, and learning to sit still and chill for a few minutes is really hard for me. Seriously it's taken me awhile just to post this msg, while i've been posting it I've been folding laundry, and picking up after my daughter and her friends, and now I have to get ready for work, cause I have to go in a few hours early since someone called in. Any tips would be great, because right now I don't know how I will be able to sit still long enough to study.

I haven't watched survivor in years, but you're right it's probably one of the few that aren't staged. I use to watch The Hills, and that was probably the last reality show I watched and that seemed so staged that it turned me off of all others.

Anyways I gotta go, so have a good friday!

Only in America, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Rocket City Rednecks, Invention USA etc. are also considered reality shows.

Just because you study science doesn't mean you don't watch reality TV shows.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Just because you study science doesn't mean you don't watch reality TV shows.
Sure, I think it was meant as a statistical investigation, not a deterministic one.

Sure, I think it was meant as a statistical investigation, not a deterministic one.
That's seems fair enough. It would have been better if the question contained a quantifier such as a lot of, plenty of, many, or any.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
As long as it doesn't contain the qualifier "all" or "every", I can forgive.

Jagger & Richards said:
When I'm watchin' my TV
and a man comes on to tell me
how white my shirts can be.
Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
the same cigarettes as me.
Just sayin...