1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do professors allow outsiders to assist with research

  1. Jun 28, 2017 #1
    I have a bachelor's in physics but I wasn't great as a student and didn't do research. Do you think a professor at the University near me would allow me to fill an undergraduate research position so I could eventually use that experience and relationship as a reference for graduate school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2017 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    I seriously doubt it unless you were enrolled as a fulltime student.
  4. Jun 28, 2017 #3
    In most cases, their sources of funding either highly favor or require their undergrads to be students at the university. Employing students is easier than employing non-students. In some cases of students we work with, they even need to be enrolled in summer courses to work in university labs over the summer, though not all schools have this policy.

    If you need research experience or good letters of recommendation to apply to graduate school, your best bet may be to seek positions as an unpaid intern.
  5. Jun 28, 2017 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    A lot can depend on the needs of the professor and the skill set you bring to the table too.

    A professor probably isn't going to stick his or her neck out just to give a non-student some research experience. But sometimes professors hire research assistants. Having a bachelors degree in physics might qualify you for that kind of a job. What skills do you have?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted