Do the solutions have an error linear+rotational motion of a rigid body

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but, assuming [itex]\omega[/itex] is in the plane of the paper, and assuming B is the unlabelled vertex, aren't A and B merely in uniform circular motion about O?
 
Omega is rotational speed. In our case the problem defines omega for shaft OA. B is just a point on a shaft. A and B are in uniform circular motion around a certain instantaneous axis of rotation. It's not "O". I'll try to get on a computer later so I can graph it...
 
Vb = 2.37 [m/s]

I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget the material since I'm suppose to teach some students about it. Seeing a wrong answer to mine made me lift an eyebrow, but I'm glad my suspicion was verified it's not my mistake.
 
Femme_physics said:
Omega is rotational speed. In our case the problem defines omega for shaft OA. B is just a point on a shaft. A and B are in uniform circular motion around a certain instantaneous axis of rotation. It's not "O". I'll try to get on a computer later so I can graph it...
It would be helpful if, in the future, you gave the text of the problem.