1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the solutions have an error linear+rotational motion of a rigid body

1. May 19, 2012 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

tms

Maybe I don't understand the problem, but, assuming [itex]\omega[/itex] is in the plane of the paper, and assuming B is the unlabelled vertex, aren't A and B merely in uniform circular motion about O?

4. May 19, 2012 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Omega is rotational speed. In our case the problem defines omega for shaft OA. B is just a point on a shaft. A and B are in uniform circular motion around a certain instantaneous axis of rotation. It's not "O". I'll try to get on a computer later so I can graph it...

5. May 19, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Looks correct to me.

What does the solution manual say?

6. May 20, 2012 #5

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Vb = 2.37 [m/s]

I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget the material since I'm suppose to teach some students about it. Seeing a wrong answer to mine made me lift an eyebrow, but I'm glad my suspicion was verified it's not my mistake.

7. May 23, 2012 #6

tms

It would be helpful if, in the future, you gave the text of the problem.

8. May 23, 2012 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Ah but there was none :P

9. May 23, 2012 #8

tms

That would explain that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook