Rate of Rotation for a Pulley (Question for a Reasoning/Thinking Skills Test)

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving pulleys and the rate of rotation. The person is unsure about the level of physics knowledge required and is looking for help understanding the formula v=rω. They provide their attempted solution and ask for an intuitive explanation of the formula. Another person responds with a link to a resource that may help with understanding the formula.
vertciel

Homework Statement

*Please note that the following question is for a reasoning/thinking skills test. As I have only studied physics up to junior year in high school (and did not study pulleys then), I am unsure of the depth of physics knowledge required in this question, though it seems to involve some physics.

[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1577/imgsb.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the rate of rotation for pulley A is given, it seems that I am to find the rate of rotation for pulley B, and then C using the diameters of the three pulleys. However, I am not familiar with the relationship between rate of rotation and diameters of pulleys.

Thank you very much for your help.

vertciel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A vital equation would be v=rω where 'r' is the radius and 'ω' is the rate of rotation.

Thanks for your response, rock.freak667.

I have done some work, shown below, and have arrived at the correct answer. However, could someone please explain the formula v = rω ? How can I see this formula intuitively (especially since I have little background in physics)?

Thank you!

scherz0

---

Given information [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] radius of Pulley A and smaller, inner pulley at B = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] m, radius of outer pulley at B = 1 m, and radius of C = 2 m.

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Circumference of A and inner B pulley = [tex]\pi[/tex], Circumference of outer B = [tex]2 \pi[/tex], Circumference of C = [tex]4 \pi[/tex].

So A makes 8 turns/s [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] A makes [tex] \frac{1}{2}\frac{8 \pi}{s}= \frac{4 /pi}{s}[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] outer B makes [tex]\frac{4 \pi}{s} \div 1 \pi = \frac{4 \pi}{s} \Rightarrow[/tex] inner B makes [tex]\frac{4 \pi}{s} /times 2 = \frac{8 \pi}{s} \Rightarrow[/tex] C makes [tex]\frac{8 \pi}{s} \div 2 = \frac{4 \pi}{s} [/tex] = Circumference of C [tex] \Rightarrow[/tex] C makes 1 complete turn every second.

Last edited:
vertciel said:
Thanks for your response, rock.freak667.

I have done some work, shown below, and have arrived at the correct answer. However, could someone please explain the formula v = rω ? How can I see this formula intuitively (especially since I have little background in physics)?

This http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#avel" should help a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would approach this question by first identifying the key variables involved: the rate of rotation, the diameters of the pulleys, and the relationship between them. From my understanding, the rate of rotation for a pulley is directly proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter of a pulley increases, its rate of rotation also increases.

To solve this problem, I would use the formula for rotational speed, which is equal to the angular velocity divided by the circumference of the pulley. In this case, we are given the rate of rotation for pulley A, which is 60 revolutions per minute. We are also given the diameter of pulley A, which is 8 inches.

To find the rate of rotation for pulley B, we can use the formula:

Rate of rotation for pulley B = (Rate of rotation for pulley A) x (Diameter of pulley A / Diameter of pulley B)

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

Rate of rotation for pulley B = (60 revolutions per minute) x (8 inches / 4 inches) = 120 revolutions per minute

Similarly, to find the rate of rotation for pulley C, we can use the formula:

Rate of rotation for pulley C = (Rate of rotation for pulley B) x (Diameter of pulley B / Diameter of pulley C)

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

Rate of rotation for pulley C = (120 revolutions per minute) x (4 inches / 2 inches) = 240 revolutions per minute

Therefore, the rate of rotation for pulley C is 240 revolutions per minute.

In conclusion, the key to solving this problem is understanding the relationship between rate of rotation and diameter for pulleys. By using the appropriate formula and substituting the given values, we can easily find the rate of rotation for pulley B and C. I hope this helps and good luck on your reasoning/thinking skills test!

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of rotation for a pulley?

The formula for calculating the rate of rotation for a pulley is: rotational speed = 2 x pi x radius / time. This equation takes into account the circumference of the pulley, which is represented by 2 x pi x radius, and the time it takes for one full rotation.

2. How does the diameter of the pulley affect its rate of rotation?

The diameter of the pulley directly affects its rate of rotation. The larger the diameter, the longer the circumference and thus the longer it takes for the pulley to complete one full rotation. This results in a slower rate of rotation. On the other hand, a smaller diameter would have a shorter circumference and a faster rate of rotation.

3. Is the rate of rotation for a pulley affected by the weight of the object it is lifting?

The rate of rotation for a pulley is not affected by the weight of the object it is lifting. The rate of rotation is determined by the size and shape of the pulley and the amount of force being applied to rotate it. The weight of the object being lifted only affects the amount of force needed to rotate the pulley, not the rate of rotation itself.

4. How does friction impact the rate of rotation for a pulley?

Friction can have a significant impact on the rate of rotation for a pulley. If there is a lot of friction between the pulley and the object being lifted, it will take more force and time to rotate the pulley. This can result in a slower rate of rotation. To increase the rate of rotation, it is important to minimize friction by using lubricants or choosing pulleys with low friction materials.

5. Can the rate of rotation for a pulley be increased by increasing the force applied?

Yes, the rate of rotation for a pulley can be increased by increasing the amount of force applied. This is because the rotational speed is directly proportional to the applied force. However, it is important to note that there may be practical limitations on how much force can be applied, depending on the strength and design of the pulley system.