Rate of Rotation for a Pulley (Question for a Reasoning/Thinking Skills Test)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
vertciel
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



*Please note that the following question is for a reasoning/thinking skills test. As I have only studied physics up to junior year in high school (and did not study pulleys then), I am unsure of the depth of physics knowledge required in this question, though it seems to involve some physics.

[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1577/imgsb.jpg


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Since the rate of rotation for pulley A is given, it seems that I am to find the rate of rotation for pulley B, and then C using the diameters of the three pulleys. However, I am not familiar with the relationship between rate of rotation and diameters of pulleys.

Thank you very much for your help.

vertciel
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your response, rock.freak667.

I have done some work, shown below, and have arrived at the correct answer. However, could someone please explain the formula v = rω ? How can I see this formula intuitively (especially since I have little background in physics)?

Thank you!

scherz0

---

Given information [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] radius of Pulley A and smaller, inner pulley at B = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] m, radius of outer pulley at B = 1 m, and radius of C = 2 m.

[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Circumference of A and inner B pulley = [tex]\pi[/tex], Circumference of outer B = [tex]2 \pi[/tex], Circumference of C = [tex]4 \pi[/tex].

So A makes 8 turns/s [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] A makes [tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{8 \pi}{s}= \frac{4 /pi}{s}[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] outer B makes [tex]\frac{4 \pi}{s} \div 1 \pi = \frac{4 \pi}{s} \Rightarrow[/tex] inner B makes [tex]\frac{4 \pi}{s} /times 2 = \frac{8 \pi}{s} \Rightarrow[/tex] C makes [tex]\frac{8 \pi}{s} \div 2 = \frac{4 \pi}{s}[/tex] = Circumference of C [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] C makes 1 complete turn every second.
 
Last edited:
vertciel said:
Thanks for your response, rock.freak667.

I have done some work, shown below, and have arrived at the correct answer. However, could someone please explain the formula v = rω ? How can I see this formula intuitively (especially since I have little background in physics)?


This http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#avel" should help a bit.
 
Last edited by a moderator: