Moment of inertia rigid body problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 6K views
i_hate_math said:
0 for this rod, and the total would be 1/3mL^2 by itself?
We are not quite ready to go back to considering the rod. I am still asking about the point particle.

Edit: cancel that, see below.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
0 for this rod
Yes, the moment of inertia of a thin rod about itself as axis is 0.
Now use the parallel axis theorem to find its moment of inertia about the rod parallel to it in the H figure.
 
haruspex said:
Yes, the moment of inertia of a thin rod about itself as axis is 0.
Now use the parallel axis theorem to find its moment of inertia about the rod parallel to it in the H figure.
The parallel axis thrm states that I=Icom+mh^2
here it's I=0+mL^2=mL^2
 
i_hate_math said:
The parallel axis thrm states that I=Icom+mh^2
here it's I=0+mL^2=mL^2
Yes!
Do you see why this is? Every point of the rod is at distance L from the axis, so each little mass dm contributes L2.dm to the total.
 
haruspex said:
Yes!
Do you see why this is? Every point of the rod is at distance L from the axis, so each little mass dm contributes L2.dm to the total.
Yeah because its a rigid body of many particles. And adding them up, I-total=1/3mL^2+0+mL^2=4/3mL^2
 
i_hate_math said:
Yeah because its a rigid body of many particles. And adding them up, I-total=1/3mL^2+0+mL^2=4/3mL^2
In post #33 you came to understand that the moment of inertia of a rod about an axis parallel to it, distance L away, is mL2. Why have you gone back to 1/3mL^2+mL^2?
 
because I think the other rod that's perpendicular to the rotation axis also needs to be taken into account for the total MoI
 
i_hate_math said:
because I think the other rod that's perpendicular to the rotation axis also needs to be taken into account for the total MoI
Oh, ok, I didn't realize you were including that yet. In that case, yes, that is indeed the total MoI of the H shape about the given axis.
 
haruspex said:
Oh, ok, I didn't realize you were including that yet. In that case, yes, that is indeed the total MoI of the H shape about the given axis.
Thanks a lot mate for all the help and detailed explanations. I got the correct answer 6.45 eventually!