Do you actually have to work for 15 hours a day to get an engineering degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter kartoshka
  • Start date
Some background- I'm one of those compulsive students that gets good grades. My professors assign a ton of homework, and a couple projects each quarter. My GPA is around a 3.85, and I am in my third year.

During week days I have class from 9:00-12:00 and a 2 hour lab one day a week. I study/do homework for about 5 hours each weekday, and probably 16 hours total for weekends. During finals, or project times there is a good 3 days of 15+ hours a day cramming.

i think there is a lot of dick-measuring when people say"I work from midday to midnight doing maths problems 6 days a week."

I worked before I went to university. I am now studying engineering and topping my course, because I treat it like a job. I show up every day at 8.30, take an hour lunch break, finish at 5.30. I rarely do any work at home because I spend that time with my g/f.

True, I occasionally go in on a Saturday but that is only during exams or when i have major assignments due in the next few weeks. The night before hand-in I do read over for mistakes, but not for too long because I need rest and sleep (everyone does).

Working until all hours is really unproductive. It's simply "face-time". People who tell you that they do this are trying to make you feel insecure and inadequate. Doing an all-nighter isn't necessary, it only happens when you've left work too late or something horrendous has happened in group work, etc.

tl:dr - Work consistently and get enough rest. Study is a job.

I went to a decent engineering school (Georgia Tech) for EE undergrad. I would say I averaged 3 hours a day of homework/studying for normal classwork (took ~15 semester hour loads). On top of that there were a few projects/labs/papers a semester that took maybe 10-12 extra hours spread over a week. Also, a day or two before a test I reworked all the homework relevant to that test which was ~6 hours or so worth of work.

Only a couple of times before major projects or papers did I ever really have to work 6+ hours a day for an extended period of time.

Experiences certainly vary on how well you understand the material. Some classes made perfect sense to me and I hardly had to study, others I had to memorize/learn forms and hope I actually understood it later.

Yea, some days will be less some days will be more, I think most of my eng. friends spend more time in class then that but less time doing homework. Heres the thing, I know some people who are done with homework by 10 every night and can still get decent grades but the thing is they dont truly know it unless you put the man hours in. Realistically college just is more hours of study and it grows on you-sounds nasty but eh not that bad after awhile. Rule of thumb for ALL college classes- for every one hour you spend IN class you should spend 2 outside of class studying or preparing. so lets say you are taking 15 credits at minimum you should be doing 45 hour weeks. minimum.

It's the summer time and I've been trying to study every day as if it was finals week.

cjl
Science Advisor
It's the summer time and I've been trying to study every day as if it was finals week.
Why?

At the end of the day, studying like a maniac is good to prove that you can do it. But too much study means you have focused excessively upon the goal and not enough on the journey.

You discover the truly cool stuff while searching for other things. Don't assume that it's all about the GPA, or you'll look back and realize that you missed some very important lessons.

At the end of the day, studying like a maniac is good to prove that you can do it. But too much study means you have focused excessively upon the goal and not enough on the journey.

You discover the truly cool stuff while searching for other things. Don't assume that it's all about the GPA, or you'll look back and realize that you missed some very important lessons.
This is sound advice. :)

One of my friends graduated from UCSD as an Aerospace Engineer with a 3.5 GPA and still had fun on the weekends with the occasional partying. Being an engineering major will demand a good deal of your time, but having balance is crucial. I would hate to look back at my undergrad years knowing that the majority of my prime years were spent with my nose buried in textbooks instead of going out and actually enjoying my life.

Why?
I'm in a hole where anything less than a 3.9 each semester might prove very very disastrous. :redface:

I'm in a hole where anything less than a 3.9 each semester might prove very very disastrous. :redface:
I'd really like to know the details behind this.

What kind of homework do engineering majors receive? What exactly is the 7 hours per day being spent on?

What kind of homework do engineering majors receive? What exactly is the 7 hours per day being spent on?
well...

Tutorial question sheets, practicing examples, lecture revision, textbook reading, papers if you're keen...

A lot of it isn't assigned homework, just work that one should do if studying a discipline.

But 7 hours a day is masochistic. 3-4 hours is plenty for a normal day.

But 7 hours a day is masochistic. 3-4 hours is plenty for a normal day.
Completely agree. I find that a lot of engineering courses (especially the heavily math-based ones) just kind of "make sense" to me, and so not that much studying is required. Problem sets can take a while sometimes but it's not too bad.

The course I've had to study the most for so far was Organic Chemistry II, which isn't even in the engineering department. It was the absence of numbers and all the memorization (rare in engineering courses) that made it tough for me.

That's nothing.

Try holding a job at the same time, you'll begin to hear voices.

15 hours a day? that is such bull$hit.