Do you actually have to work for 15 hours a day to get an engineering degree?

In summary, this engineering major has a lot of class time and very little free time. They spend their evenings and weekends doing homework.
What kind of homework do engineering majors receive? What exactly is the 7 hours per day being spent on?

Physics news on Phys.org
jakeyboy said:
What kind of homework do engineering majors receive? What exactly is the 7 hours per day being spent on?

well...

Tutorial question sheets, practicing examples, lecture revision, textbook reading, papers if you're keen...

A lot of it isn't assigned homework, just work that one should do if studying a discipline.

But 7 hours a day is masochistic. 3-4 hours is plenty for a normal day.

streeters said:
But 7 hours a day is masochistic. 3-4 hours is plenty for a normal day.

Completely agree. I find that a lot of engineering courses (especially the heavily math-based ones) just kind of "make sense" to me, and so not that much studying is required. Problem sets can take a while sometimes but it's not too bad.

The course I've had to study the most for so far was Organic Chemistry II, which isn't even in the engineering department. It was the absence of numbers and all the memorization (rare in engineering courses) that made it tough for me.

That's nothing.

Try holding a job at the same time, you'll begin to hear voices.

15 hours a day? that is such bull$hit.