Do you leave your computer on while you do homework or studying?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not leaving electronic devices on while doing homework or studying can be distracting. Some students use their devices for homework, while others try to avoid distractions by putting their devices in sleep mode. However, one student admits to still being distracted by social media despite trying to limit their usage. Overall, it is agreed that electronic devices can be distracting and it is important to find a balance between using them for homework and avoiding distractions.
GirlInDoubt
Hi. I'm wondering if you leave your computer or any electronic devices near you operating when you are doing your homework or are studying. If so, do you find that it distracts you?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I imagine that many students actually do homework on the compture, perhaps with MathCad, Matlab or Mathematica.

At least one can use a wordprocessor and/or spreadsheet or analytical and graphics software.

If one has a laptop, one can simply fold the screendown and put it in sleep mode. Otherwise, desktop computers can be set to go sleep.

GirlInDoubt said:
Hi. I'm wondering if you leave your computer or any electronic devices near you operating when you are doing your homework or are studying. If so, do you find that it distracts you?

I use to because thanks to the evils of facebook, I'm extraordinarily tempted to go check it every 5 minutes :D

Yes, and yes - it does distract me. I still haven't learnt.

Yes, because most of my homework is completed online or in a word processor. And yes, I am usually distracted.

No..I don't leave my computer as it is while I am busy in doing homework and study..But I keep it in hibernate or in sleep condition..So that when I open it they are in the same condition in which I had leave it..

Yes, because my computer is typically always running World Community Grid when I'm not using it.

It distracts me a lot. I have a specific time for checking updates and all. Online study can't match books at the beginner level in any subject.

1. Why should I leave my computer on while doing homework or studying?

Leaving your computer on while doing homework or studying allows you to easily access any necessary resources or information without having to wait for it to boot up. It also prevents you from losing any unsaved work if your computer were to shut down unexpectedly.

2. Is it bad for my computer to leave it on for extended periods of time?

Leaving your computer on for extended periods of time can put additional strain on the hardware components, potentially leading to overheating or wear and tear. However, modern computers are designed to handle being on for long periods of time and as long as you regularly shut down and restart your computer, it should not cause any major issues.

3. Will leaving my computer on increase my electricity bill?

Yes, leaving your computer on will use more electricity and therefore increase your electricity bill. However, the amount of electricity used is relatively small and should not have a significant impact on your bill. Additionally, newer computers are designed to be energy efficient, so this may not be as much of a concern.

4. Are there any benefits to turning off my computer while doing homework or studying?

Turning off your computer while doing homework or studying can help eliminate distractions and allow you to focus solely on your work. It can also save some electricity and extend the lifespan of your computer's hardware.

5. What is the best practice for leaving my computer on while studying?

The best practice is to turn off your computer when you are finished studying or taking breaks. This will help save electricity and prevent any potential issues with the hardware. If you need to leave your computer on for an extended period of time, make sure to close any unnecessary programs and put your computer into sleep mode to conserve energy.