Do you think we'll ever see a world war three?

• News
  • Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a third world war and who the potential enemies and allies would be. Some believe that the current economic situation, with the rise of emerging economic powerhouses and the decline of the American middle class, is a form of warfare. Others argue that the "war on terror" has been used as a distraction from domestic issues. The conversation also touches on the idea that the U.S. may be losing this economic war.
WEll i don't know which country's missile system or military is more modern, but i think
russia has more experience in designing and has superior numbers in terms of launchers. AFAIK russia has a comprehensive missile launching system( nuclear submarines, mobile launchers in land and many missile silos). China's capability in that respect is lacking compared to russia. But then again, warfare isn't always that simple.

But in science and technology, china still is far behind the western world, though they are catching up

Guess we need real military guys like russ to comment

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright. Following your pattern of thought, its makes sense.

Russia began designing and testing missles for military use since the spac race in the 1960's. I'd be curious to find out how long China has been developing their munitions. Russia has always been competing with the U.S. to build better weapons, they are still playing catch up. Russia is ahead of the game when it comes down to China though. Even during the Cuban Missle Crisis in 1962, Russia was playing catch up. Now its China's turn.

There's two types of ballistic missiles.

The short range missiles that never leave the atmosphere present one type of challenge. That would be similar to the SCUDS Iraq used in the first Gulf War.

Inter-continental ballistic missiles present a whole new challenge. The missiles are basically launched into an orbit that happens to intersect the Earth. There's a challenge in launching an object into outer space, plus the challenge of re-entering the atmosphere. That makes predicting where the missile lands a real challenge. Only a few countries can do it.

In general, if you can launch a satellite, you can launch a ballistic missile, but you may have no idea of where it will land - in fact, your missile may burn up during re-entry. If you can launch a manned space mission and find and recover your astronauts after a re-entry, you have the basic capability for an effective ICBM program. If you can predict exactly where your astronauts will come down and be there waiting in the general vicinity, you have a pretty precise ICBM program - in other words, you can at least hit the city you want to (these were the unwritten messages of the US-USSR space race - we're good; you should worry about making us mad).

How precise the US and USSR can get beyond that would be hard to say, since both protect the finer details of their capabilities. China's capabilities are equally uncertain, but they did complete their first successful manned space mission in the fall of 2003.

Bob, if you launched an intercontinental ballistic missle and there was a possiblity of it burning up upon re-entry, then how do you aviod that or come up with a way around it before you get hit?

It would be difficult to gage the accuracy of us and Russia, but China has a lot of catching up to do. It seems like they are a few years behind on the technology. I think one of the only reasons why China might survive a third world war (unless they start something and get everyone mad at them and get pelted with nuclear missles) is merely because of their dense population. The same could be said for India. Both have over a billion people.

chound said:
Just like the slavery in your USA where the blacks where treated subhuman, flogged to death, etc. Anyway nowadays there isn't much caste considerations in the society. Only politicians use it. Maybe in some backward rural areas caste system may be there.

Not according to her research. Maybe there's stuff going on that you aren't aware of. It could just be leftist propaganda. I'm always wary of anything she learns in a cultural anthropology class. Maybe she'll come on and explain to you what I'm talking about. From what I can tell, American slavery wouldn't be a good analogy, as slaveowners never systematically massacred their own slaves. A better analogy might be the treatment upon colonization and expansion of my own race, the Native Americans.

Loseyourname, whose research are you talking about?

Your anology would be a better one than that of the slaves. Your right, owners did systematically kill their slaves. Which in my opinion is immoral and very wrong. Thats another topic for another thread though.

loseyourname said:
Not according to her research. Maybe there's stuff going on that you aren't aware of. It could just be leftist propaganda. I'm always wary of anything she learns in a cultural anthropology class. Maybe she'll come on and explain to you what I'm talking about. From what I can tell, American slavery wouldn't be a good analogy, as slaveowners never systematically massacred their own slaves. A better analogy might be the treatment upon colonization and expansion of my own race, the Native Americans.

You seem to think everything is leftist propanganda if it disturbs your equilibrium. Flogging was a common punishment, and some overseers were content to flog "difficult" slaves to death just to remove them as future problems. Owners were accustomed to let their overseers take care of things. Many histories and memoirs cover stuff like this.

selfAdjoint said:
You seem to think everything is leftist propanganda if it disturbs your equilibrium.

Why do you say that? No information about India is going to disturb my equilbrium. When I say that a lot of what she learns seems political more than scientific (which is what I mean), I'm speaking mostly of the whole cultural determinism spiel that they get. I would guess from having been here over a year and reading many posts of yours, that you would agree with me that there is scant empirical evidence for cultural determinism.

Flogging was a common punishment, and some overseers were content to flog "difficult" slaves to death just to remove them as future problems. Owners were accustomed to let their overseers take care of things. Many histories and memoirs cover stuff like this.

I'm aware of what happened to slaves. They were never massacred en masse the way she claims the Dalit are in India. To do so would have been stupid and ruinous for the slaveowners whose economic well-being depended on them. There is a difference between the killing of aberrant individuals and the regular, announced-publicly-beforehand mass murder of large groups of people. The slaughter of Native Americans is more analogous to the second case than American slavery.

selfAdjoint said:
You seem to think everything is leftist propanganda if it disturbs your equilibrium.

By the way, can we please agree to not psychoanalyze each other on these forums? This is supposed to be a place to discuss ideas, not to speculate about an individual's motivation in subscribing to certain ideas. The ideas should be evaluated on their own merit. Even a fool can be correct for all the wrong reasons, and if he is correct, that should be all that matters here.

How is any of that relevant to this thread about World War III?

loseyourname said:
Do you really live in India? My girlfriend is doing a research project on the treatment of the lower castes there, and from the anthropological studies she's shown me, I have to admit that it almost sounds to me like the world would be a much better place if there were no India. No offense or anything - it's just a pure gut reaction to visceral descriptions and rather appalling statistics.

I get what you meant only now. You're angry that I've made USA the target nation to be destroyed in WW3. So you are just retaliating.
:rolleyes:

You people in rich countries are complaining about outsourcing. But you want your huge companies, corporations to enter/export into every other country. When they do that the local producers will be affected since they can't possibly compete with your big companies.

Anyway China vs. India. I don't think they would bother fighting each other except to resolve the border issue. Also China can't deploy even half of its ground force to India since the Himalayas are a natural barriers. They could come only by airforce and navy.

India is believed to have a stockpile of fissile material sufficient for fabricating several nuclear weapons and could probably assemble at least some of these weapons within a short time of deciding to do so.

India's large chemical industry produces many dual-use chemicals that could be used as precursors, and could support a chemical warfare program of considerable size.

While India possesses the infrastructure necessary to support an offensive biological warfare program, including highly qualified scientific personnel and industrial production facilities, it apparently has given priority to research and development applicable only to biological warfare defensive measures.

India has one of the more self-sufficient ballistic missile programs in the developing world. It can design and produce missiles with little foreign assistance. However, New Delhi is working to become self-sufficient in all areas of production by the end of the decade. India has two ballistic missile programs -- the Prithvi SRBM and the Agni MRBM.
The Prithvi is a single-stage, liquid-fueled missile using propulsion technology from the Soviet SA-2 surface-to-air missile, and is designed to be deployed with a payload of 1,000 kilograms to a range of 150 kilometers (or 250 kilometers with a 500-kilogram payload). The Indian Army has completed user trials with the Prithvi and started producing.
Additionally, India has had an ambitious space launch vehicle (SLV) program since the mid-1970s. The program includes three SLVs, which have payload capacities ranging from 150 to 3,000 kg. India could convert these SLVs into IRBMs or ICBMs quite easily but has shown no indications of doing so. It has already built guidance sets and warheads, key components needed to convert an SLV into a ballistic missile.

The Indian space program shares research, development, and production facilities with the ballistic missile program. Therefore, New Delhi could apply the SLV technology it has obtained from the former Soviet Union and the West to its ballistic missile programs.

In 1994, India successfully tested the two-stage Agni; the missile achieved a range of 1,000 kilometers, about half its intended range. Publicly, the Indians call the missile a "technology demonstrator," although it could be used in developing a follow-on, longer range MRBM that could reach China.

China has a mature chemical warfare capability and may well have maintained the biological warfare program it had prior to acceding to the Biological Weapons Convention in 1984. It has funded a chemical warfare program since the 1950s and has produced and weaponized a wide variety of agents. Its biological warfare program included manufacturing infectious micro-organisms and toxins. China has a wide range of delivery means available, including ballistic and cruise missiles and aircraft, and is continuing to develop systems with upgraded capabilities.

The Chinese continue to modernize their inventory of nuclear weapons systems, which now includes over a hundred warheads deployed operationally in medium range ballistic missiles (MRBMs), intermediate range ballistic missiles (IRBMs), and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs). Since becoming a nuclear weapons state in 1964, Chinese officials have declared a policy of "no first use" repeatedly, and have stated that China's nuclear arsenal is for self-defense only.

Not much info could be got about China
Source: www.fas.org

Last edited:
chound said:
You people in rich countries are complaining about outsourcing. But you want your huge companies, corporations to enter/export into every other country. When they do that the local producers will be affected since they can't possibly compete with your big companies.

The American public is angry about the outsourcing of American job because they're American Jobs. People can't live without a job and when they get laid off it puts extra stress on them. Since all the major corporations are shipping their operations over seas because the labour over there is cheaper there are less jobs for the people who were laid off.

chound said:
I get what you meant only now. You're angry that I've made USA the target nation to be destroyed in WW3. So you are just retaliating.
:rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't even realize you had done that, but carry on with the psychoanalysis. I guess you people know me better than I know myself. I won't ask any further provocative questions.

misskitty said:
How is any of that relevant to this thread about World War III?

It isn't. If you'll notice my original post, 2/3 of it was a statement regarding WWIII, and a small paragraph was asking an aside question to chound, who was apparently rather offended by the question. Isn't it odd how offended people can get so easily? I'm not the least bit offended by American slavery. I never took part in it and neither did anyone I know. Why the heck should he be offended by the massacres of the Dalit?

Last edited:
Ah, just clarifying thanks.

I agree it is surprising how easily offended people are these days. You can't say one thing or another without upsetting someone. Its pathetic.

Could you elaborate on the massacres of the Dalit. I don't know what it is. You don't get very much ACCURATE information up here.

misskitty said:
Could you elaborate on the massacres of the Dalit. I don't know what it is. You don't get very much ACCURATE information up here.

I can't give much useful information. My girlfriend posts here and maybe she'll tell us what she's found. She was simply putting together her presentation the night I posted in this thread and had been telling me about the brutalities of the caste system there. The Dalit are the lowest caste and are apparently massacred at times by members of the upper caste, who openly proclaim their intentions beforehand. While the killings, and even the caste system itself, are officially outlawed, the government just looks the other way.

That's aweful! How can a government allow that to happen?!