Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you wear suit and tie to work? Do you think people should be?

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    I never dress formally, and only ppl here wear like that are either high ranking managers or banker, or salesman. I once dressed all up for a meeting and it turned out I was a rare bird.

And it is really interesting how almost every sales engie wear suit and tie and have their shoes shined. But people use to wear like that in the old days, heck, they even wear top hats. What happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    More people should wear a suit and tie, it looks good, it feels good, it's standard.
    Suits are pretty sweet!

I think what happened was people decided to get laid back and became hippies (not that I'd know, I'm not old enough to know about hippies)

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never seen anyone here wear a suit. Even the CEO walks around in khakis and a polo shirt.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except Mormons. :biggrin:

So true! Or even jeans and sneakers.

6. Mar 20, 2012 #5
    Wearing a suit feels good? I find that suits are horribly uncomfortable. I wore a business suit when I sold mattresses for 4 years. Whether it looks good is a matter of taste, and "it's standard" is never a justification to do anything.

7. Mar 20, 2012 #6
    Every suit I've worn has made my posture feel a lot better than it usually does!
    When I said standard I just meant that it took the place of some kind of uniform

8. Mar 20, 2012 #7
    If anyone ever sees me wearing a tie, feel free to assume that I'm dead and that thing you see is actually a zombie.

I would never wear a tie, if only because they're ridiculously uncomfortable *and* have no function *and* look idiotic (although the last part is obviously a matter of personal taste). As for suits... Meh. I don't hate suits (like I hate ties), but I find it rather ridiculous that some people assume you need a suit to look good.

9. Mar 20, 2012 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It depends on if you will have customer contact, the industry, etc...

I always had to wear a business suit to work. At one office, if we didn't have client meetings scheduled, we could wear "business casual", but then our VP came through the office and told us that if we weren't wearing a suit that he expected us to have a full suit outfit hanging in our offices, gawd forbid a client might call and want an immediate meeting and we didn't have proper clothes! The last place I worked wouldn't even allow open toe shoes for women, or shoes that exposed too much of the foot. If we wore a sleeveless blouse, the shoulder straps had to be at least 2 inches wide. Occasionally they would bring in fashion consultants to help us build 'proper' business wardrobes.

10. Mar 20, 2012 #9
    I do manual labor. I don't think a suit would be a good idea.

11. Mar 20, 2012 #10

Evo

Not a trendsetter, eh?

12. Mar 20, 2012 #11

russ_watters

I have a photo of my great great grandparents and other extended family hiking on a rocky waterfall in the poconos, circa 1890. Or maybe there was a wedding on the other side of the creek, it was hard to tell.

13. Mar 20, 2012 #12
    I missed out on a decent job. The interviewer mentioned to my employement agent that "it was a really tough choice and it came down to who was better dressed." I wasn't the one in a suit.

Sometimes being better dressed gives you a comparative advantage. Oh, and the interviewer was about 55yrs old or so.

That being said, I see the suit more as a tool. Like cologne or hair products.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  14. Mar 20, 2012 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just back from a company meeting. The CEO wore a button down collar long sleeve shirt and blue jeans.

15. Mar 20, 2012 #14
    I started by attacking "casual friday". On Friday I dressed a little more formally than the rest of the week. A year ago I introduced full-time sport jackets. Soon I'll be adding a tie.

Since my program of reviving formal dress began, I am taken much more seriously by everyone, I'm always ready for unscheduled visitors and my pay has gone up by a full 43%. Really, it did. Once I add the tie there will be only two people wearing one in the building- me and the CEO.

My advice to everyone out there- keep up the casual dress. Going against the grain of your Starbucks attitude is making me buckets of cash.

16. Mar 20, 2012 #15
    Another fine example of the "American Dream".

"Since my program of reviving formal dress began, I am taken much more seriously by everyone, I'm always ready for unscheduled visitors and my pay has gone up by a full 43%. Really, it did."

If it is as you say, then enjoy the fruits of your labour and good on ya for earning your keep. It's well deserved. :rolleyes:

17. Mar 20, 2012 #16

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I look dashing in a suit.

I agree with Antiphon on reintroducing formal dress. Most people look like slobs nowadays.

18. Mar 20, 2012 #17
    Correlation does not imply causation. You have provided no evidence that the way you dress is what has lead to your pay increasing, rather than, say, a change in your work ethic or just getting better at your job.

At my university, there seems to be no correlation of how a professor dresses and which professors get tenure, for what it's worth. My anecdote is just as good as your anecdote.

And on a related note:

phd101711s.gif

19. Mar 20, 2012 #18
    ^ oh dear, I sure just lol'd

20. Mar 20, 2012 #19

turbo

Gold Member

When I was managing an auction division handling antique arms (guns, swords etc) the GM thought it would be a good idea to make me wear dress clothes to work, just in case a customer wanted to meet with me on short notice. I mostly wore jeans and polo shirts, and most of my jeans were stained with gun oil, grease, etc, since I had to handle thousands of guns and swords every year. Believe me, most die-hard collectors of antique arms are down-to-earth people, and though many of them are filthy-rich,they couldn't care less about dealing with a guy in a sport-coat or a suit. They are straight-talking and what they want is to deal with somebody who knows the business and can represent their items fairly, and to best effect. Buyers eventually become sellers, so it's best to have a good all-round relationship with the collectors.

21. Mar 20, 2012 #20
    I think suits and dress clothes in general are very uncomfortable and not good for working or thinking in. I also hated having my mom iron my work clothes every week when I was at a place that made me dress business casual.

I also am very hesitant whenever I am asked to spend some time with a sales engineer who is dressed up, because more often than not his expensive coat is compensating for his lack of knowledge and just shows me he knows how to sucker insecure people into buying what he's selling, which makes me even more cautious.

Dressing up can be fun, but that's when you're being social . . not trying to get work done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook