Does (1+1/n)^2n converge or diverge? And how to approach arctan x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter appplejack
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
appplejack
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to find whether the sequence converges or diverges
1.(1+ 1/n)^2n


2.arctan x


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


1. My answer is wrong but I don't know how I can get the right answer
My answer
(1 + 1/n) ^2n becomes 1 because 1/n tends to zero and 2n become infinitely big and
1 ^ infinity is 1. So the answer is 1 but the answer key says e^2

2. I don't know how to approach it
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The limit of (1+ 1/n)^n as n goes towards infinity is e. Since the question asks (1+ 1/n)^2n the answer is e^2.

Just take the limit of (1+ 1/n)^2n as n goes towards infinity.

2. the limit as arctan(n) goes to inifinity is infinity, thus arctan(n) diverges.
 
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left (\left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right)^2[/tex]
[tex]\left ( \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right)^2[/tex]

So let's just ignore the squaring for now. Whatever we find, we will square it.

[tex]I =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n[/tex]

[tex]ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ln\left (\left ( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right )^n \right )[/tex]
[tex]ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} nln\left (1+\frac{1}{n} \right )[/tex]

This is an indeterminate form of zero times infinity. Let
[tex]N = \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
then
[tex]ln(I) =\lim_{n\rightarrow 0} \frac{ln\left (1+N \right )}{N}[/tex]

Can you take it from here?
 
For number 2, have you looked at the graph of arctan x?