1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a capacitor ever get fully charged?

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    The time t taken by a capacitor of capacitance C in a charging circuit with a resistance R in series with it to accumulate charge q is given by the equation

t=τln(q/(Q−q)),

where τ is the time constant given by τ=RC and Q is the maximum charge the capacitor can have when fully charged in that circuit.

In order to find the time taken by the capacitor to get fully charged we have to put q=Q in the right side of the above equation that gives

t=τln(Q/(Q-Q))
    or t=τln(Q/0)
    I know Q/0 does not have a precise meaning but even if we take it as ∞ for the sake of further reduction, then
    t=τln∞
    or t →∞

This gives me a feeling that a capacitor never gets charged fully. Am I right? Why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right, in theory.
    In reality, fluctuations in the input voltage, thermal fluctuations and other effects will make that mathematical analysis irrelevant once the capacitor is very close to the final voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted