Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a Completed Electron Orbital Differ?

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    In an atom of something like oxygen with a completed 2p orbital, do the paired electrons within the orbital behave differently than the same 2p orbital that is uncompleted? Bear with me and try to understand this question as I am a little fuzzy on the subject and I don't know how else to ask this. If I say anything wrong, please correct me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if your question is whether the electrons behave differently in both cases, then yes obviously they must be different. In particular, the total orbital and spin angular momentum for a closed shell atom are zero.

4. Jul 12, 2015 #3
    How would the closed shell behave differently from its incomplete version?

5. Jul 12, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For example if we put a closed shell atom in a weak magnetic field, and suppose we can neglect nuclear spin, there will be no splitting in the energy spectrum. In contrast, if one electron were removed from the same atom, splitting due to Zeeman effect will be observed.

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

For a many electron atom, orbitals are no longer uniquely defined, as they are solutions of a one-electron hamiltonian. In general, doubly occupied orbitals will differ in size and energy from singly occupied ones. For a He atom, the variational optimization of the orbitals is a popular homework:

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...3mvxF6SIckMks4w&bvm=bv.97653015,d.bGQ&cad=rja

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook