Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a magnet affect antenna transmission?

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    I am working with an application where we have a magnet in close proximity to an antenna in the 20 - 25 GHz range. If there IS and affect of the magnet to the antenna's transmission, does the "near field" calculation apply (λ/2xpi)? If the antenna is out of the near field, is there no affect to the antenna's transmission in the frequency range?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    For transmission - a static magnetic field may have a small damping effect on the motion of charges moving in and out of it. The transmitted field will just superpose with the magnets field so it should not affect a signal.

I take it you are experiencing some problems with your setup?

4. May 10, 2013 #3
    No, this is a general question as we are trying to look at an application and anticipate any effects that may occur. Coming from the materials science side, I have these questions about the electromagnetic realm. Thank you for your response!

5. May 10, 2013 #4
    its unlikely to affect. note in the expression for magnetic force [itex]\bar{F} = q \bar{v} \times \bar{B}[/itex] , force is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the charge carriers. so while you may see some kind of Hall effect (a transverse potential difference) its unlikely to affect the flow of current in the circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook