Does a photon have a width and height ?

In summary: Width and height may be relative to the observer, but in general, yes, a photon would only exist in one dimension.
Edi
So when thinking of a photon, we (at least I do) think of the picture, where is it shown as having literal height and width, but I know or at least I think I know, that the lines just represent the intensity/ strength of the E and M part of the wave, not the actual shape of the photon.
And it got me thinking - does the photon have an actual width and height? Yes, it has length - wavelength (what ever it is (?) ), but how about the other 2 dimensions? Does it even exist in other than one dimension?
Could the photons existence in only one dimension be the reason why it is the only thing, that can travel at the speed of light? And that other "things" a.k.a. particles, that exist in more dimension can not achieve that velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edi said:
So when thinking of a photon, we (at least I do) think of the picture, where is it shown as having literal height and width, but I know or at least I think I know, that the lines just represent the intensity/ strength of the E and M part of the wave, not the actual shape of the photon.
And it got me thinking - does the photon have an actual width and height? Yes, it has length - wavelength (what ever it is (?) ), but how about the other 2 dimensions? Does it even exist in other than one dimension?
Could the photons existence in only one dimension be the reason why it is the only thing, that can travel at the speed of light? And that other "things" a.k.a. particles, that exist in more dimension can not achieve that velocity?
It also has 2 other real parameters that represent the polarization.

Edi said:
does the photon have an actual width and height?

It may have, but it will not be constant in time.

arkajad said:
It may have, but it will not be constant in time.

Ah, no THAT is very interesting. Will have something to think about.

What is width and height in the microscopic scale? Photon is a pack of energy

Wouldn't Lorentz contraction shorten it's length in direction of travel to zero? So I would think a photon could only exist in 2 dimensions.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is the smallest unit of electromagnetic energy. It is a fundamental particle that makes up light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. Does a photon have a physical size?

No, a photon does not have a physical size in the traditional sense. It is a point particle, meaning it is considered to have no width or height.

3. Can a photon be measured?

Yes, a photon can be measured in terms of its energy, wavelength, and frequency. However, it cannot be measured in terms of physical size or dimensions.

4. Why is it said that a photon has no width or height?

A photon is considered to have no width or height because it is a fundamental particle with no internal structure. It is also massless, meaning it does not have a physical size in the traditional sense.

5. Is it possible for a photon to have a width or height?

No, it is not possible for a photon to have a width or height as it is defined as a point particle with no physical size. However, some theories suggest that in certain situations, photons may exhibit wave-like properties and have a spatial extent, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.