Does a speedometer measure a scalar or vector quantity?

In summary: He would take his car out and drive in reverse, noting the distance traveled on the speedometer. Then he would go back to normal driving and use that data to recalculate the mileage from the odometer.A speedometer measures the magnitude of the velocity vector. It doesn't measure the direction of the velocity.A speedometer measures the magnitude of the velocity vector. It doesn't measure the direction of the velocity.
zomgwtf
This is a pretty elementary question but I had it on a quiz and it made me think... does a speedometer measure a scalar or vector quantity?

I answered that it measures a vector quantity my rational being that it is the instantaneous speed in a forward direction, always. It doesn't matter if the car is turning the measurement on the speedometer is always going to be instantaneous speed in the tangental direction right? It's not like it's a measurement over a given amount of time because instantaneous is taken with the limit of t approaching 0 right? I'm not entirely sure if I answered correctly though :tongue: but I still stand by my answer, it makes sense to me atleast.

Physics news on Phys.org

Speedometer does not measure direction (orientation) only magnitude of velocity (speed).

Astronuc said:
Speedometer does not measure direction (orientation) only magnitude of velocity (speed).

Isn't the direction assumed? I mean it goes positive forwards or positive backwards, that's it since it's instantaneous.

zomgwtf said:
Isn't the direction assumed? I mean it goes positive forwards or positive backwards, that's it since it's instantaneous.

The direction can be north, south, east, west, even up and down a little bit. None of that is measured by a speedometer.

zomgwtf said:
Think a bit, which direction is "forward"? Would the speedometer measure a different quantity if I went to the north or to the east?

it's a scalar. but if you really want to confuse yourself, consider that it's not even measureing the actual speed of the vehicle, but the rotational speed of some element of the drivetrain. on my vehicle, the speedo cable attaches at the transmission.

Proton Soup said:
it's a scalar. but if you really want to confuse yourself, consider that it's not even measureing the actual speed of the vehicle, but the rotational speed of some element of the drivetrain. on my vehicle, the speedo cable attaches at the transmission.

I second what Proton Soup said: It's a vector! Your speedometer actually measures angular velocity, which is a vector aligned with the rotational axis. :lol:

No, what is displayed on your gauge is a magnitude, regardless of the mechanics used to measure it (for one thing, more than one possible speed is possible for the same rotational velocity, depending upon what gear you're in).

Does your speedometer register a speed when you're going in reverse? (I've never thought to look, seeing as how I'm usually looking for a nice new Lexus to back into.)

Take a speedometer and use it to measure the speed as you travel forward. Now use it to measure the same speed as your travel backwards. Is there any indication on the speedometer to differentiate direction? In other words, if you looked solely at the speedometer, would you be able to tell when you traveled forwards and when you traveled backwards?
To be more technical, the speedometer does not measure the angular velocity, but the magnitude of the angular velocity.

BobG said:
No, what is displayed on your gauge is a magnitude, regardless of the mechanics used to measure it (for one thing, more than one possible speed is possible for the same rotational velocity, depending upon what gear you're in).

Does your speedometer register a speed when you're going in reverse? (I've never thought to look, seeing as how I'm usually looking for a nice new Lexus to back into.)

I've never seen a case where the speedometer mechanism wasn't located on the transmission tailshaft (output), which means that it's rotational speed is fixed for any reading on the speedometer. If it was located on the input shaft somehow then the gear would need to be identified to determine actual vehicular speed, which adds quite a bit of complication with no real benefit.

I am not familiar enough with older eddy current style speedometers to comment on them, but certainly modern electronic speedometers can read magnitude in reverse exactly as they do forward.

At worst, a speedometer measures a component of the velocity vector.

At the input, (e.g., the transmission tailshaft) the vector of angular velocity eventually manifests at the readout in a form (e.g., electromagnetic) usually foreign to the transmission but still conserving some semblance of the initial rotation.

Back in the day, my mechanic-acquaintance would use a drill to reverse mileage.

Last edited:

What is a speedometer?

A speedometer is an instrument used to measure the speed of a vehicle. It typically displays the speed in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Is speed a scalar quantity?

Yes, speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude (numerical value) and does not have a specific direction.

What is a scalar quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that is described by a single number (magnitude) and does not have a direction. Examples include time, temperature, and speed.

Is velocity a vector quantity?

Yes, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (numerical value) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of motion.

How does a speedometer measure speed?

A speedometer measures speed by using a sensor to track the rotations of a vehicle's wheels and converting that information into a numerical value displayed on the speedometer.