Does Amplitude Influence the Period of a Spring's Oscillation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ohlhauc1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 53K views
ohlhauc1
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Here is a quick question, and it would be nice if you someone could answer yes or no. I need it to do a problem because I am unsure whether it is. The question is:

Does amplitude affect the period of oscillation of a spring in simple harmonic motion?

I think no because of the equation: T = 2(pi)*(m/k)^(0.5) There is no amplitude in that equation, which determines period.

Thanks
ohlhauc1
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well.. I Actually did this today in class. The equation you have is right, and that's what I have in my notes. So, I believe you are right, and the answer is no. :)