Does an explicit list of 20 independent compenents of Riemman exist?

In summary: For the record, there are an infinite number of combinations for the Riemann tensor, but only a finite number of components.
ozone
Hello all,

I have been given a problem where I am asked to calculate "all" the components of the Riemann tensor in a gross non-diagonalized metric. I know there exists at most 20 independent components of Riemann, but I want to actually compose a list of these combinations.

It is easy enough to generate a good quantity of combinations which don't vanish under the antisymmetric exchange, but it is a bit harder to do this and account for the first Bianchi Identity. I made a list of 21 components which I should have to calculate and their could exist more but I realized I have no idea how to figure out how many more I need since there may be redundancies in my current list.

To reiterate; I was wondering if there was a compiled list somewhere for 20 independent components.

Thanks
--Ozone.

PS: If anyone could help me to figure out what the difference in the # of components with the Bianchi Identity applied and with just the block identity//antisymmetry of the Riemann that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:
I know there exists at most 20 independent components of Riemann, but I want to actually compose a list of these combinations... To reiterate; I was wondering if there was a compiled list somewhere for 20 independent components.

You can find a discussion of the 20 independent components of the Riemann tensor in section 8 of this web page:

http://www.mathpages.com/rr/appendix/appendix.htm

Likes 1 person
ozone said:
Hello all,

I have been given a problem where I am asked to calculate "all" the components of the Riemann tensor in a gross non-diagonalized metric.
My god, what a torturous and arduous exercise to give a poor soul :frown: there's nothing worse than coordinate computations!

ozone said:
To reiterate; I was wondering if there was a compiled list somewhere for 20 independent components.
This is pretty easy. The first pair of indices is antisymmetric (can you say bivector?) therefore can have only 6 independent combinations: 01, 02, 03, 12, 13, 23. Likewise for the last pair.

The Riemann tensor is symmetric on exchanging the first pair with the last pair. So it's a symmetric tensor in the space of bivectors, and therefore has (6 x 7)/2 = 21 possible components. All that's left is the cyclic identity. e.g. R0123 + R0312 + R0231 = 0, leaving you with 20.

Likes 1 person
haha thanks for the help guys, I guess then I know which pair is redundant out of the 21 I came up with. Yes I am not looking forward to calculating this =/ I guess my Prof. must really want to punish his students.

If your prof didn't forbid the use of automatic computational software, I'd probably use it. Maxima, for instance. MTW's gravitation has some remarks on efficient ways to do it by hand, though.

It's one of those calculations that one should do once (maybe twice) in one's life.

Likes davidbenari

Related to Does an explicit list of 20 independent compenents of Riemman exist?

1. What is an explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a space. It has 20 independent components that can be used to fully describe the curvature of a space.

2. Why is it important to have an explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann?

An explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann is important because it allows us to fully understand the curvature of a space and make predictions about how objects will behave in that space. It also helps with calculations and equations in fields like physics and engineering.

3. Are the 20 independent components of Riemann unique?

Yes, the 20 independent components of Riemann are unique. They are derived from the Riemann tensor and are essential for describing the curvature of a space.

4. Can the explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann be applied to any space?

Yes, the explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann can be applied to any space, regardless of its shape or dimension. This is because the Riemann tensor and its components are defined in terms of the curvature of a space, rather than its specific properties.

5. How do scientists use the explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann in their research?

Scientists use the explicit list of 20 independent components of Riemann in various fields, such as general relativity, cosmology, and differential geometry. They can use these components to study the curvature of space and make predictions about the behavior of objects in that space.