Does an unrelated minor look bad to employers/grad schools?

In summary, if you don't take physics/math courses, it may not look the best on your resume or when applying to grad school, but it does not necessarily mean that you are not interested in physics/math.
Shukie
I'm currently getting my bachelors degree in physics. I have the option of doing a minor at either my own faculty or any of the other faculties of the university. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I think doing something completely unrelated might be fun. Will it look bad to future employers/grad schools if I don't fill it in with physics/math courses though or do they not look at it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shukie said:
I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I think doing something completely unrelated might be fun. Will it look bad to future employers/grad schools if I don't fill it in with physics/math courses though or do they not look at it?
Your minor can never hurt, so long as you don't get miserable grades because of it. Some interviewers may love your minor being something in the liberal arts 'cause it may show good communications skills and personality, but the guys in HR vetting the resume are basically just looking at your major. Grad schools are much the same; generally you don't get penalized for not taking stuff above and beyond your course requirements, but get bonus points for taking stuff that'll enhance your major/research 'cause it shows you're really serious and passionate about it. There's also the whole complementary opposing major to think about; if you're doing a lot of optics research, an art major with a photography focus may be cool-just sell it on the personal statement/cover letter.

Shukie said:
Will it look bad to future employers/grad schools if I don't fill it in with physics/math courses though or do they not look at it?

Employers don't care. Grad schools don't care directly about it, but it can mildly hurt you if being really interested in something other than physics/math takes away time from physics/math. However, you might want to do it anyway. The fact that my undergraduate program had large amounts of CS and social science in it *did* mildly hurt me when I applied to grad school, but it was *incredibly* useful once I got out.

Remember that your education is for you, and not for your future employers and future grad school committees. Trying to set things up so to please employers and grad school committees so that this is the most important thing in your education is a seriously, seriously bad idea.

Thanks for your replies, I've decided that I'll just pick whatever seems most interesting :)

1. Does having an unrelated minor affect my chances of getting hired or accepted into graduate school?

It depends on the specific employer or graduate school. Some may view an unrelated minor as a positive addition to your resume, showing a diverse range of interests and skills. Others may not place much weight on minors and instead focus on your major and relevant experience.

2. Should I include my unrelated minor on my resume or application?

If you have limited space on your resume or application, it may be more beneficial to highlight your major and relevant experience instead. However, if your minor is relevant to the job or graduate program you are applying for, it may be worth including.

3. Can an unrelated minor be beneficial to my career or academic goals?

Absolutely. An unrelated minor can provide you with a well-rounded education and additional skills that may complement your major. It can also show potential employers or graduate schools that you are a versatile and dedicated learner.

4. Is it better to have a related minor for my future career or graduate studies?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and interests. A related minor may provide more specialized knowledge and skills for a particular field, while an unrelated minor may offer a broader range of skills and experiences. It is important to consider what will make you stand out and be successful in your desired career or graduate program.

5. Should I explain why I chose an unrelated minor in my application or interview?

If the minor is not directly related to your major or desired career path, it may be helpful to briefly explain why you chose to pursue it. This can demonstrate your critical thinking skills and how you have utilized your time in college. However, be sure to focus on how the minor has contributed to your overall education and not make it the main focus of your application or interview.