1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone have a idea on how lifters work yet?

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    does anyone have a idea on how lifters work yet? i am agreed with those that believe it is not a ion wind effect. i believe this technology should be researched and it is my goal to use it as my field of research. i was just hoping someone is already working on it.

i mean imagine, hover boards, and flying cars (no more tires) mobility belts that help elderly walk,m no more fuel sucking cranes, personal elevators......so many uses....

any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Lifters

What is a lifter?

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Apr 12, 2009 #4

yeah i think that was supposed to disprove the ion wind theory. im not sure though, id have to look at the episode again, its been a while.

6. Apr 12, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Yes, the mythbusters test was designed to disprove ion wind theory and it failed, verifying ion wind theory.

7. Apr 12, 2009 #6

i thought others had gotten it to work in a vaccuum? i seem to remember a article about possible propulsion technology for NASA.

8. Apr 12, 2009 #7

russ_watters

No one with any credibility, no.
    Perhaps in an "alternate" science source, but not a mainstream one.

Though actually, the technology is not dissimilar from the ion propulsion some spacecraft use now. It also uses ionized gas (often xenon), though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_engines

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook