Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone have any experience on getting published?

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone! So, I'm about to get to work on a new theoretical paper that I'm really excited about. I'm basically tying two different theories together and showing how they interact with each other. I'm mostly writing this paper for my own benefit, to get these thoughts onto paper and hopefully receive some constructive criticism.

I would also love to get this paper out to the science community as a whole. I feel that I could really benefit off of their thoughts and criticisms, and possibly kick start something new. I doubt that my paper is very groundbreaking or anything (that would be really awesome if it is) but at the same time, I don't want to risk having my ideas taken and have someone else's name stamped on it. It's happened before from a friend of mine and I would hate to make that mistake again. So, I have a few questions that I was wondering if you guys could possibly help me out with:

1. How short should this paper be? I would love to add in as much detail as possible, but at the same time I don't want to over-saturate the reader with potentially uninteresting material.

2. Should I assume that the reader has previous knowledge of quantum mechanics, or should I explain it in a way that a non-science person would understand? It might bore scientifically minded folks, but it also might target a larger audience.

3. Can anyone recommend a good place to try and get it published? I know that Popular Science is a pipe dream, but maybe a similar magazine or website.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is probably best to look at some papers that are already written on the subject and see how they do things. You did look at papers by other authors right?

Well, what papers did you consult when coming up with your new theory? These journals are probably the place to publish.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  4. Oct 21, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When choosing a journal to publish in simply use the references you've accumulated as a list of appropriate places to investigate. Look at what journals those have been published in and check if their entry criteria match what you are writing. With regard to length and content most journals have strict rules on paper format so look into those as well as looking to match the style that others have posted in.

Micro has asked the most pertinent question: in the course of your work you've done the standard first step of accumulating tens - hundreds of references of peer-reviewed literature right? It might seem like a simple and silly suggestion but in our experience a lot of people try to write theories without even being well versed in the current published literature on a subject.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One could copyright the paper. Paper length depends on how elaborate one's theory is. One could put it on arxiv.org or publish it through an organization like fqxi.org.

Statement 2 seems inconsistent with a scientific paper. If one submits to an appropriate scientific journal, then it is implicit that the audience understands the physics.

Statement 3 is also inconsistent with a scientific paper. Popular Science is not the appropriate venue for publication of a theoretical work.

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5
    Thanks a lot everyone for the info, that helps out immensely. I'm in the process of copyrighting the paper and post it on here shortly. Thanks again for all the help.

7. Oct 23, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, but we don't allow personal theories, once you publish your paper in a mainstream ACCEPTED scientific journal, then you can post it here, not before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook