Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone in the US use A4-sized notebooks?

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    I'm having a tough time finding paper that I can write on comfortably, I'm used to 4-hole standard A4 sized paper, as this is very common in Europe. I like how I could easily slip in printed problem sheets, book excerpts, or journal articles into my notes and have everything neat and flush, ready for temp or permanent binding, either in a ring binder or spiraled together.

However all I can find in the states are 3-hole 'college ruled' notebooks that don't sit flush with A4 paper, which is driving me a bit nuts. To the point where I'm just using printer paper on a clamp-tablet for consistency.

Is there any reason A4 sized notebooks are so hard to find in the US? Are school and college students forced to use this bizarre 'college ruled' scale paper for any particular reason? I've checked online but most of the options are import stores with pretty inflated prices.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A4, as far as I know, is not used in the US so I'm not surprised you can't find it.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3
    Regular printer paper is din A4 and it is plentiful, I just can't seem to find notebooks in that form factor...

5. Apr 6, 2014 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

how about yellow legal pads?

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The most common US standard size is 8.5 x 11 inches. A4 and other DIN sizes are unusual in the US. I was surprised to see that staples.com actually sells A4. I don't remember ever seeing it in stores, although I admit to never having looked specifically for it.

It's not so much that students here are "forced" to use 8.5 x 11, it's literally the only size that they know!

7. Apr 6, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The USA doesn't use ISO paper sizes because the ISO standard wasn't invented by the USA. They created an alternative ANSI standard in 1996 which (big surprise) is the same as what they were already using.

Resistance is futile. You might as well complain that the World Series isn't an international sports competition :smile:

8. Apr 6, 2014 #7

jtbell

And then there's US football versus almost everyone else's football... :wink:

9. Apr 6, 2014 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. Apr 6, 2014 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which we in the US call metric football.

11. Apr 6, 2014 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But does it converge??

12. Apr 6, 2014 #11

jtbell

13. Apr 6, 2014 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

jtbell yoiu're right. i updated post to office depot
    they'll probably have to order it in, though.

14. Apr 6, 2014 #13

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, Dorothy, you're not in Kansas (Europe) anymore.

They make these wonderful devices called 'hole punches' so you can punch yer own in whatever paper you use.

Yes, no one makes this size paper or uses this type of notebook here. Complain to Mead and Ampad, two of the bigger paper suppliers in the US.

DIN A4 paper is almost but not quite the same dimensions as US letter size paper. A4 is slightly narrower and a tad longer than Letter size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI/ASME_Y14.1

Legal pads are 8.5" wide by 14" long, another gift from the legal profession.

15. Apr 6, 2014 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

16. Apr 6, 2014 #15

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This article discusses the differences between DIN and US paper sizes. At the bottom, you will find a list of suppliers for paper and notebooks in DIN format:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

The list is a few years old and may now be out of date.

17. Apr 6, 2014 #16
    Should be super easy to get off of Amazon. I wouldn't even think to go to an old brick and mortar store for office supplies.

18. Apr 7, 2014 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I thought until I got these home. 8.5" X 11.75" :mad:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/images/397x353/06119746i_01.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  19. Apr 7, 2014 #18
    All this is coming as a bit of a shock to me. So 8.5 x 11 in.^2 is the typical printer page size in the US, not A4? I guess that makes things easier, since notebooks/pads of that size areapparently common, so I'll basically have to live with substantially less vertical space. The horror!

... there's always fax paper rolls, I remember using this in grade school math for homework and occasinally handed them in in rolls if I waited too late to copy it to regular paper, much to the teacher's annoyance. :P

That is pretty much A4, except .2 in. wider and .05 in. taller. So if A4 was the standard for printers in the US I'd stick with that, but fortunately I don't have to and will use the same size paper for everything. I can now sleep peacefully at night, thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  20. Apr 7, 2014 #19

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The other 2.25" is to cover their fees. :biggrin:

21. Apr 7, 2014 #20

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most printers can handle a variety of paper sizes. If your printer can handle A4, it can also handle 8.5 x 11". After all, most of the printer guts are made in Japan and China and repackaged and rebranded as HP, Canon, Epson, etc. for retail sale. For years, many HP LaserJet printers used Canon internals for the print engine with a little external HP styling and such. The print cartridges were often interchangeable between certain HP and Canon models.

It seems in the US that universities have started using A4 size paper for a lot of their work, like for international conferences and such, because this size is the standard for submissions. I must admit that 8.5"x11.75" paper is new to me, but the old stand-bys 8.5x11 and 8.5x14 are still quite common.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch-White-Glue-Top-Notepad/product_154120

http://www.staples.com/The-Legal-Pa...rforated-50-Sheets-Pad-12-Pads/product_831293

http://www.staples.com/Staples-8-1-2-inch-x-14-inch-Canary-Perforated-Notepads-Wide/product_163857

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook