Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know of any Video Lectures

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    that can be accessed online for free that cover Calculus 2 (at least intro to integration/formal def'n of limit)? I am trying to get ahead for next semester. I have found some through Google, but I was hoping someone knew of a good one.

I have a couple of texts, but I learn much quicker demonstratively.

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2
  4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    Thanks Kummer. I found a lot of vids at some Unversity websites, but they are in dot RAM format; i am not familiar with this and I use a Mac. . . anyone know what program I can use (if i can even use one)?

5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    For example what sites?

---
    You can find complete lectures at:
    ocw.mit.edu

But that is more advanced material and does not cover Calculus.

6. Jun 30, 2007 #5
    I.e. http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/8351.html ...it says to download real player...but I don't know if I can do that with my mac...I could try, but I just know that windows media player for mac was a crapshoot...

Edit: Realplayer download works fine. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. Jul 2, 2007 #6
    Anything else? I was hoping for an intoduction to integration/antiderivatives since I have just completed calc I.

8. Jul 14, 2007 #7
  9. Jul 25, 2007 #8
    Thanks coolmoss

10. Aug 3, 2007 #9
    I'm at work so I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but I believe you can find lectures for calculus 2 at the university of alabama somewhere(it's from Stewart's calculus) Also I believe Berkley has some lectures that are presented under a title of Integration Techniques and Infinite Series.

11. Aug 3, 2007 #10
  12. Aug 3, 2007 #11
  13. Aug 29, 2007 #12
    Haven't been a member for an hour and I've already gotten the answer to my question!
    My husband and I are always looking for ways to improve our calculus knowledge base...wait till I tell him there's a website and a forum of people who love knowledge as much as we do!

14. Aug 30, 2007 #13
    I always recommend this one http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm . it's not a video, but he writes in a very casual tone and explains pretty well.

kind of a related question: is calculus something that is taught in high-school, or in first year? I didn't take math on my last high-school year, so I don't know if it was covered, and I don't remember them covering it at all the year before that...

15. Aug 30, 2007 #14
    In the USA, Calculus can be taught in the junior and/or senior year of high school. The program is for students who are taking "an accelerated route" to mathematics. You can receive college credits by passing an exam called the Advanced Placement Calculus AB and/or BC exam, which is run by the College Board. Calculus AB roughly equals Calculus I and BC is Calculus II.

Not all students take Calculus in high school; some only finish with a knowledge of Precalculus or Algebra II.

16. Aug 30, 2007 #15
    ok, so it's optional for those who are going into a math-related subject post high-school?

in Canada we have university bound, college bound, and remedial classes. I took college-bound Math, and university-bound english, chemistry, biology, and all that; so maybe that's why it wasn't covered.
    or maybe they covered it on that last year (math isn't mandatory for grade 12).

... now that I think about it, I don't even remember them covering basic trig. :rofl: when I joined PF I didn't even know what sin cos tan was :eek:...

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to sign up for university-bound math; this has been like starting from 0 for me; to have spent all the time I did learning things I could've already learned in school. It also sucks that I don't have as much free time to read math and physics now that I'm starting to work.

O well, better slow progress than no progress...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  17. Aug 30, 2007 #16
    You do not require Calculus in high school, but require at least three years of some type of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?