Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Real Analysis video course from Harvey Mudd College

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    There is a Harvey Mudd College first semester real analysis course posted at http://www.youtube.com/user/Learnstream, based on the classic text Principles of Mathematical Analysis (Baby Rudin), by Walter Rudin. Professor Francis Su, who delivers these lectures, does a great job helping to tie this difficult book together with intuitive geometric and topological arguments in the first 15 or so lectures I have watched so far (there are 23, with a few more coming).

The topics are roughly:
    - Construction of the Rational Numbers
    - Construction of the Real Numbers via Dedekind Cuts
    - The Real and Complex Fields
    - Induction and Well-Ordering
    - Cardinality
    - Metric Spaces and Their Topology
    - Compact Sets and Spaces
    - The Cantor Set and Connected Sets and Spaces
    - Sequences
    - Completeness
    - Series
    - Continuity and Uniform Continuity
    - Differentiation and the Mean-Value Theorem

There's still a few lectures left before the semester finishes, so the syllabus above isn't complete. Since the Learnstream project has gone to the trouble to post these outstanding lectures for the public, I think they'd appreciate appreciate seeing lots of people using their work.

PF Mentors, Advisors, and Homework Helpers, I think this would be a useful resource for the Calculus & Beyond Learning Materials forum, so please place the thread there if you agree.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2
    This is a great link - it should definitely be in the Learning Materials forum with the rest of the video links.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook