Does anyone know who administers courses in a university?

In summary, the student is looking for advice on how to handle a conflict between two courses required for their major, and is wondering if anyone in the USA knows of a good way to go about resolving the conflict.
Dens
The reason I ask this because I have about two conflicts for my timetable and it's holding me back from completing my degree sooner.

Does anyone know who, in a university, handles course conflicts? I know it depends on what university I go to, but could someone give me a general idea?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to at least know what country you're in.

In the USA, I would say, first go to an academic advisor in your major department (assuming these are courses required for your major). Any waivers to the major requirements (e.g. substituting one course for another) generally have to be approved by the department, or at least originate with them for approval by someone higher up in the academic bureaucracy.

If there are multiple sections of the courses involved, you may be able to switch to another section of one course. Even if the course is "full", instructors often have the power to admit you if you ask/beg them nicely enough.

Just to add, we also have a few student advising centers at the college and university levels to assist with these sorts of problems.

You didn't say what kind of conflict exists, but in general start with the course instructors to at least get some sort of approval. From there you may have to work your way up to the college or university level- for example, course waivers for graduation below 2 credit hours can be approved by the Department, below 4 requires approval from the college (not the Dean- a committee), and beyond that it goes to the Provost.

I am in Canada, but things should work the same way.

I am thinking of taking the class at a community college, I just hope there is no conflict there too...

The two courses in conflict are indeed requirements, but one of them is an "elective" meaning I could replace it with another "elective" required course, but I don't want to.

So I want I take to Diff Geo, but I could also replace it with Math Bio for my major, but I feel Diff Geo is much more useful for my academic career.

for your question. In most universities, the administration of courses is typically handled by the Registrar's Office or the Office of the Registrar. This office is responsible for maintaining student records, managing course schedules and enrollment, and addressing any conflicts that may arise. I would recommend reaching out to your university's Registrar's Office for assistance with your specific conflicts. They will be able to provide you with guidance and support in resolving your conflicts and ensuring you are able to complete your degree in a timely manner. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in your studies.

1. What is the role of an administrator in a university?

An administrator in a university is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the institution, managing budgets, and ensuring that policies and procedures are followed.

2. Who is in charge of organizing and scheduling courses at a university?

The administration department typically handles the organization and scheduling of courses at a university. This may include tasks such as creating course catalogs, assigning classrooms, and coordinating with faculty.

3. How do I find out who the administrator is for a specific course at a university?

The best way to find out who the administrator is for a specific course at a university is to contact the department that offers the course, such as the English department for an English course. They will be able to provide you with the name and contact information of the administrator for that course.

4. What qualifications are required to become an administrator in a university?

The qualifications for an administrator in a university vary depending on the specific role, but generally, a minimum of a bachelor's degree is required. Many administrators also have a master's degree in a relevant field, such as higher education administration.

5. How can an administrator assist students at a university?

An administrator can assist students at a university in various ways, such as providing academic advising, helping with course registration, managing financial aid, and connecting students with resources and support services on campus.