1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Does anyone know who administers courses in a university?

  1. May 10, 2012 #1
    The reason I ask this because I have about two conflicts for my timetable and it's holding me back from completing my degree sooner.

    Does anyone know who, in a university, handles course conflicts? I know it depends on what university I go to, but could someone give me a general idea?

    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    It would help to at least know what country you're in.

    In the USA, I would say, first go to an academic advisor in your major department (assuming these are courses required for your major). Any waivers to the major requirements (e.g. substituting one course for another) generally have to be approved by the department, or at least originate with them for approval by someone higher up in the academic bureaucracy.

    If there are multiple sections of the courses involved, you may be able to switch to another section of one course. Even if the course is "full", instructors often have the power to admit you if you ask/beg them nicely enough.
  4. May 11, 2012 #3

    Andy Resnick

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Just to add, we also have a few student advising centers at the college and university levels to assist with these sorts of problems.

    You didn't say what kind of conflict exists, but in general start with the course instructors to at least get some sort of approval. From there you may have to work your way up to the college or university level- for example, course waivers for graduation below 2 credit hours can be approved by the Department, below 4 requires approval from the college (not the Dean- a committee), and beyond that it goes to the Provost.
  5. May 11, 2012 #4
    I am in Canada, but things should work the same way.

    I am thinking of taking the class at a community college, I just hope there is no conflict there too...

    The two courses in conflict are indeed requirements, but one of them is an "elective" meaning I could replace it with another "elective" required course, but I don't want to.

    So I want I take to Diff Geo, but I could also replace it with Math Bio for my major, but I feel Diff Geo is much more useful for my academic career.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook