Does anyone use the sub forum dropdowns?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Greg thinks that the drop-downs on the homepage are unnecessary and would prefer to see them removed. He also thinks that most people are like him and don't use them, but he is always with you, Greg.
We have several forums that have sub forum drop downs from the homepage. I realized that I never use them and always just click the parent forum and then once inside click the sub forum. If most are like me I would consider removing the drop downs to clean the look a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm with you. But of course, I"m ALWAYS with you, Greg. Except when I'm not. :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Huh. I didn't even know the drop downs existed.

Yeah, I'm not seeing what you are referring to, Greg. Probably right under my nose...

Can you give an example of where the drop-downs appear?

folders.png

I rarely use them.

Likes berkeman
Ah, thanks mfb. I don't think I've noticed them before, or thought they were glitches in my browser. Yeah, you can get rid of them if you want Greg.

Scrap 'em.

Drakkith said:
Huh. I didn't even know the drop downs existed.
Yeah, but we all know you don't really pay attention.

Likes Drakkith
phinds said:
Yeah, but we all know you don't really pay attention.
Well, I saw them and thought they were browser glitches... What does that make me? o0)

berkeman said:
Well, I saw them and thought they were browser glitches... What does that make me? o0)
Nah, we're OK. I also thought they were glitches. We were paying attention, just drew the wrong conclusion. Drakkith was off thinking about sex or something. Who knows what a Texan thinks when no one is looking :smile:

Likes berkeman
I've never noticed them before, how nifty, I'll start using them.

Likes mfb
Evo said:
Damn contrarian :-p

Likes berkeman and Evo
Evo said:

No I'm trying to remove them :D

Likes mfb and Evo
I've never used them, either.

I always use the one in the HW forum to fast-vector into advanced physics HW (since I never look at any of the other HW subforums).

I don't use any of the others.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If most are like me I would consider removing the drop downs to clean the look a bit.
If you are like me and don't have the window fully expanded, they get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you guys are going to have an interview with Sabine Hossenfelder, cool!

P.S.
I never used them either!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I have used them as shortcuts (not having to enter a forum to get to a sub-forum (if I have the terminology right)) occasionally, but probably won't miss them much.
Took me awhile to notice them.

Why not just make them (sub-fora?) separate and equal to the other units (fora).
I don't like going into one forum to get to another. Too much work. And I forget they are there.

BillTre said:
Why not just make them (sub-fora?) separate and equal to the other units (fora).
It will make the homepage list quite long

Its already more than a page on my computer anyway.

Making it even longer won't improve that.

Won't really make it any worse either.

BillTre said:
Won't really make it any worse either.
It will. Especially in the age of mobile.

OK. I don't do mobile, so I wouldn't know about that.

What are sub forum dropdowns?

Sub forum dropdowns are a feature commonly found on online forums or discussion boards. They allow users to filter or navigate to specific sub-forums or categories within a larger forum.

How do sub forum dropdowns work?

Sub forum dropdowns typically appear as a menu or list, often located at the top or side of a forum page. Users can click on a specific dropdown to reveal a list of sub-forums within that category. They can then click on a sub-forum to access its content.

Why are sub forum dropdowns used?

Sub forum dropdowns are used to make it easier for users to find and access specific sub-forums or categories within a larger forum. They help to organize and categorize content, making it more manageable for users to navigate.

Are sub forum dropdowns customizable?

Yes, sub forum dropdowns can be customized by forum administrators. They can choose which sub-forums or categories to include in the dropdown menu, as well as the order in which they appear. They can also customize the design and layout of the dropdown menu.

Do all forums have sub forum dropdowns?

No, not all forums have sub forum dropdowns. It depends on the platform or software being used to host the forum. Some forums may use other methods, such as tabs or buttons, to organize and navigate to sub-forums.