1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does buoyancy depend on shape and volume?

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    If buoyancy is due to the pressure differential as we go deeper in a liquid, then that pressure differential should depend on the vertical dimension of the immersed object. Eg. if we have a long cylinder vertically placed, the pressure differential between its top surface and its bottom surface will be bigger than the differential of a shorter cylinder. Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Asking Archimedes ... The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. Buoyancy does depend on volume, not shape.

So how does this square with your analysis?
    A cylinder of the same volume but of half the vertical dimension, will have twice the area on each end. Force is area × pressure. The shorter cylinder will have 1/2 the pressure difference, but the net force will be the same.

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3
    No, the volume doesn't have to be the same. Afterall, buoyancy only depends on density. The density of the two cylinders can be the same.

I hope you understand what I am trying to do. I am trying to correlate the hydrostatic pressure gradient and the buoyancy.

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was looking at the related concept of buoyant force.

As you say, buoyancy only depends on density. So do you actually have a question here?

Normally we assume that the liquid is not compressible . If the buoyant object is rigid, then how can the buoyancy depend upon hydrostatic pressure gradient?

6. Apr 26, 2016 #5
    What does hydrostatic pressure gradient exerted to a buoyant object has to do with its rigidity?

7. Apr 26, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All you need to do is to compare boats with the same displacement but different hull designs. A fin keel sailboat goes far deeper in the water than a flat bottomed barge with the same displacement.

@SammyS gave you the correct answer.

8. Apr 26, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you take a hollow cylinder and chuck it in the water, it will float, laying horizontally. It will experience the same buoyant force whichever way you orientate it (say you restrain it in a vertical mesh tube) because it will displace the same volume of water. But the Potential Energy will be at its lowest with the cylinder horizontal. You need to do work on it to make it float upright, despite the fraction of water that's displaced being the same. Orientation and shape can appear to have an effect on upthrust when they don't actually.

9. Apr 26, 2016 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if it's not rigid it will be compressed somewhat by the hydrostatic force, thus its buoyancy will be reduced.

10. Apr 26, 2016 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well I see that I was too hasty with my previous reply.

After checking for a more technical definition of buoyancy, I see that it is generally referred to as the buoyant force.

Therefore, buoyancy has everything to do with the volume of a submerged object.

11. Apr 26, 2016 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hence, rising bubbles get bigger and bigger and rise faster and faster.

12. Apr 26, 2016 #11
    It is important to remember that there are two forces acting on an object in or on a liquid. The first is the weight of the object, the second is the weight of the liquid displaced. Subtract the weight of the displaced liquid from the weight of the object and you can tell if the object can float (result < 0), if it's neutral (result = 0) or if it will sink (result > 0). In the case of an object that changes volume under pressure the depth of submersion makes a difference because it changes the volume of the object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted