Does coil turns on one large ring generate more voltage than on four smaller rings?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter aseylys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coil Magnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
aseylys
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hey guys. I'm building a mini electric generator and I would like some clarification on Faraday's Law.

So his law states that:

V=-N*(ΔBA)/(Δt)
Where voltage generated equals the number of turns times the negative rate of magnetic flux.

So my question regards the number of turns part. So my hypothetical situations involve one with a single ring and another with four rings of 1/4 the diameter of the one ring. If I wrapped copper coil around the one ring 200 times would the voltage generated be greater than if I wrapped the copper wire around the four rings 200 times? Wrapping the wire around the four rings would be in a figure eight kind of motion.

Thanks for your input! Sorry I didn't have a picture, I couldn't find one or couldn't figure out a good way to illustrate it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How does the total area of the four rings compare to the area of the single ring?