Does Division of Polynomials Follow a Pattern of Degree Decrease?

In summary, when dividing a polynomial by another polynomial, the quotient will have a degree that is the difference between the degrees of the two polynomials. If a remainder exists, it will have a degree that is one less than the degree of the divisor. This relationship applies to polynomials of any degree and divisor. The degree of the remainder will always be one less than the degree of the divisor.
chwala
Gold Member
When you have a polynomial say ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e where a,b,c,d and e are constants and divide this by a polynomial say ax+b it follows that the quotient will be a cubic polynomial. Assuming that a remainder exists, then the remainder will be a constant because in my reasoning, the remainder should be 1 degree less than the divisor ax+b.
My question is supposing you have a polynomial of degree 7 and divide this by a cubic divisor of degree 3 then it follows that the quotient will be quartic of degree 4, does it follow that the remainder if it exists will be quadratic of degree 2? I need insight on this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If a remainder occurs, it has denominator equal to the divisor!

Thanks i have looked at the insight and i do appreciate. My interest is on the relation between the divisor and the remainder, i am trying to come up with a general way of expressing this. Supposing you have say a polynomial of degree 35 and divide this by say a polynomial of degree 27, my understanding is that the quotient will be of degree 8. My concern is on the remainder, supposing a remainder exists will it be of degree 26.

Thanks, my interest is on the relationship between the divisor and the remainder, supposing you have a polynomial, say of degree 66 and a polynomial divisor of say degree 41, in my understanding the quotient polynomial will be of degree 25. Does it also follow that the Remainder will be of degree 40,( one degree less than divisor)?

The remainder will have a degree of the numerator less than the degree of the denominator. The denominator is the same as the divisor.

What is division of polynomials?

Division of polynomials is a mathematical operation where a polynomial is divided by another polynomial to obtain a quotient and a remainder.

How is division of polynomials performed?

Division of polynomials is performed using long division or synthetic division. In long division, the polynomials are written in a fraction form and the division is carried out like regular division. In synthetic division, a simplified method is used for dividing polynomials by a linear factor.

What are the steps for dividing polynomials using long division?

The steps for dividing polynomials using long division are as follows:1. Arrange the polynomials in descending order of their degrees.2. Divide the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor and write the result as the first term of the quotient.3. Multiply the divisor by the first term of the quotient and subtract the product from the dividend.4. Bring down the next term of the dividend and repeat the process until all terms have been brought down.5. The final result is the quotient and any remaining terms form the remainder.

What is a polynomial remainder theorem?

The polynomial remainder theorem states that when a polynomial f(x) is divided by x-a, the remainder is equal to f(a). This means that if we substitute the value of x with a in the polynomial, the resulting value will be the remainder when divided by x-a.

What are some real-world applications of division of polynomials?

Division of polynomials has many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating acceleration and velocity, in engineering for designing electrical circuits, in economics for analyzing cost and profit functions, and in computer science for data compression and error correction codes.