Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does ethanol evaporate in dried food?

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    I was wondering, if ethanol is used in a food, as it commonly is with food flavorings (as a solvent), and that food is then dried out such that It is made into a powder or cereal or something, does all the ethanol completely evaporate? I know ethanol is very volatile and has a low boiling point, but does that mean that if, say, a person with an ethanol allergy eats this food, he won't be affected because there's no traces of ethanol?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Yes, if ethanol allergic reaction is the criterion. Ethanol is an essential and integral component of metabolism, humans producing it in grams per day quantities.

Unfortunately an assertion of non-existence cannot be sustained without examination of the entire universe of discussion, searching for the Black Swan of induction, and not possible here for the 7 Billion humans.

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    Haha good point. The reason I said ethanol allergy was because I figured if someone would be deadly allergic to a food if it had any traces of ethanol in it, then being able to eat it probably means its good enough.

On a side note, is it even possible to have ethanol present after drying? Can ethanol form a powder if dried? Or is it a safe assumption that if the food is dry then ethanol is gone?

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ethanol is gone long before water is gone. And no, it can't take a powdered form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook