Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does every photopeak orginate a Compton edge?

1. Dec 12, 2015 #1
    Hi.

I have to analyse the energy spectrums of several nuclides and observe their photopeaks and the Compton edges originated by these. I only see one Compton edge on all the spectrums, no matter how many photopeaks they are.

At first I thought I should only expect photopeaks under 1022 keV to originate a Compton edge, since photons above this energy would also undergo pair production, but in the solved example we are provided the Compton edge for the Co-60 is marked as corresponding to the 1,33 MeV peak, which contradicts my reasoning:
    Screenshot_from_2015_12_12_14_50_23.png

Why do we only see one Compton edge? And why is the one for the largest energy peak?

Thank you for your time.

PD: I'm not sure if this should be in homework: I think it doesn't, since while I need to know this to solve the problem it is mainly a question about Compton scattering, but I apology otherwise.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2
  4. Dec 13, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Compton scattering happens above the pair production threshold as well. Pair production is just an additional process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook