Determining Gamma Ray energy from spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of a pulse height spectrum of a radioactive source emitting high energy photons using a small detector. Three distinct peaks were observed at 7.38, 6.49, and 5.60 V, along with a continuous portion of the spectrum. The conversation then goes on to discuss the processes involved in the origin of these peaks and the initial gamma-ray energy, but the problem statement is incomplete and cannot be solved without more information about the detector.
snc

Homework Statement

(Preface: I am not a physicist)

The pulse height spectrum of a radioactive source known to emit high energy photons was measured using a small detector. Three distinct peaks were observed at heights of 7.38, 6.49 and 5.60 V, along with a continuous portion of the spectrum.

i) Describe the processes involved in the origin of these peaks.
ii) What is the initial gamma-ray energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The detector is specified as small, so singular photon reactions are presumed.

From my very limited knowledge, i assumed the largest peak to be the photopeak/ full energy peak, and perhaps the other peaks were related to double escape from pair production or a compton peak from backscatter. As mentioned above, I am not a physicist, so be gentle!

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no way to solve this problem without knowing more about the detector. What are you studying at the moment in your class?

we have studied photon interactions and a small amount on generic rules for detectors, this is a question from a previous exam that i cannot understand.

Well, the problem statement is incomplete and there is nothing I can do about it. Typically semiconductor detectors are "small" and work by collecting charge deposited (as particle-hole pairs). The energy deposited is proportional to the energy it takes to generate particle-hole pairs. For larger energy gammas > MeV type energies a typical detector might be a NaI crystal used as a scintillator. In this case one used phototubes to count photons which are proportional to the deposited energy. Just giving you the voltage of the pulses out of the amplifier alone tells you nothing of the deposited energy.

What is a gamma ray spectrum?

A gamma ray spectrum is a graph that shows the intensity of gamma rays at different energies. It is created by measuring the number of gamma rays detected at each energy level.

How is energy determined from a gamma ray spectrum?

The energy of a gamma ray can be determined by analyzing the peak in the spectrum. The peak corresponds to the most common energy of the gamma rays detected. The higher the peak, the higher the energy of the gamma rays.

What units are used to measure gamma ray energy?

The energy of gamma rays is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or kiloelectron volts (keV). These units represent the amount of energy gained by an electron as it moves through an electric potential difference of one volt or one thousand volts, respectively.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining gamma ray energy from a spectrum?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining gamma ray energy from a spectrum. These include the resolution of the detector, the energy calibration of the detector, and the presence of background radiation. It is important to carefully calibrate the detector and account for background radiation in order to obtain accurate energy measurements.

Why is it important to determine gamma ray energy from a spectrum?

Determining gamma ray energy from a spectrum is important for many applications, including medical imaging, nuclear power plant safety, and astronomical observations. It allows us to identify the sources and properties of gamma rays, leading to a better understanding of the universe and potential uses of gamma ray technology.