Does experiencing a static shock mean that you are grounded?

In summary, it is important to properly ground yourself before handling electrical components to avoid damage. Simply touching a doorknob to discharge static electricity may not fully ground you and could still result in damage to the components. It is recommended to use a ground strap or leash with a current limiting resistor to ensure your potential is the same as the circuit you are working on.
rasen58
If I built up static in me and then touch a doorknob and get shocked, am I then sufficiently grounded to be able to touch electrical components?
Or was it just that the extra electrons were discharged and I should still ground myself in another way before touching electrical components?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe a ground strap on your wrist is the proper method. Just moving around with clothes on can cause static electricity.

I second that. One discharge clears you only until you build up more. Believe it or not, something as seemingly innocuous as sneezing can build a charge. Rather than buy a strap when I worked in the sign shop (and believe me, a rubber squeegee squishing vinyl ink through a polyester mesh onto a vinyl substrate creates something that will throw a spark more than 1/2 metre), I just disassembled one of my sets of handcuffs and reconnected them with coiled #10 automotive wire. One cuff on my wrist and one on the press cleared everything.

Well... Occupational Health and Safety did actually (I'm serious) receive an anonymous tip that someone was being held as slave labour in a sign shop... My boss subsequently made me stop using it.

edit: added a factor that I forgot the first time and corrected the spelling of "squeegee".

Last edited:
Likes PhanthomJay
jedishrfu said:
So were you handcuffed to your machine?
Yeah. I removed the chain from my cuffs. Then I took a spool of #10 auto wire from my workbench (at home) and wound it around a 1/4" dowel to form it into a "spring" like an old-style telephone receiver cord. The last step was to connect one end of the wire to each cuff so as to make a complete circuit from one end to the other.
To be clear, there was never any possibility of a mishap. For one thing, the wire was just wrapped around the chain-mount lanyard on each cuff with no soldering, so it would have torn away under any hint of force. Also, I used my "sex cuffs" :blushing: rather than my real ones; they had a small push-lever release so the key wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Likes PhanthomJay and jedishrfu
rasen58 said:
If I built up static in me and then touch a doorknob and get shocked, am I then sufficiently grounded to be able to touch electrical components?
Or was it just that the extra electrons were discharged and I should still ground myself in another way before touching electrical components?
You feel a jolt as there's a rapid sharing of electrons, but this doesn't necessarily mean you end up at zero volts. There is nothing in the building code that says all door knobs are to be solidly grounded. It just takes a metal body at a significantly different potential for you to feel a jolt as charge transfers. Besides, what is ground potential for you and the carpet may not be the ground for the electronic circuit you are contemplating handling. Before touching a delicate component you need to be grounded to that circuit's ground.

Likes Doug Huffman and davenn
NascentOxygen said:
you need to be grounded to that circuit's ground.
Excellent point. I wasn't aware of that. (I don't mess with electronics.)

You and your work's ground must be at the same potential. Use a grounding leash with a current limiting resistor in series.

Keep in mind too, just because you don't feel a shock or later detect a failure of the circuit does not mean you have not damaged it too.
This of course depends on the properties of the electronics you're working on.

rasen58 said:

No.

If you can build up a static charge in the first place then you aren't really sufficiently earthed to be certain you won't damage electronic components.

Any damage caused may not be immediately obvious either. It might only affect the life expectancy of the device. eg it might work fine now but die young.

1. Does experiencing a static shock mean that you are grounded?

Not necessarily. While a static shock can be caused by a build-up of static electricity, it does not necessarily mean that you are grounded. Other factors such as dry air, certain materials, and friction can also contribute to static shocks.

2. Can a static shock be harmful?

In most cases, a static shock is not harmful. It may be uncomfortable or surprising, but it typically does not pose any serious health risks. However, individuals with certain medical conditions such as a pacemaker should take precautions to avoid static shocks.

3. How can I prevent static shocks?

You can prevent static shocks by keeping the air in your environment humid, using anti-static products, and avoiding materials that are known to cause static electricity build-up. You can also try to ground yourself by touching a metal object before touching another surface or person.

4. Why do I only experience static shocks during certain times of the year?

Dry air is a major contributor to static shocks. During the winter months, the air is typically drier due to the cold weather and the use of heaters, which can increase the likelihood of experiencing static shocks. In more humid environments, static shocks may be less common.

5. Are some people more prone to experiencing static shocks than others?

Yes, some individuals may be more prone to experiencing static shocks due to factors such as their clothing, shoes, and the type of surfaces they come in contact with. Additionally, certain activities such as walking on carpets or sliding on plastic surfaces can increase the likelihood of experiencing a static shock.